Any idea what this says...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea what this says...

... please. its an occupation from 1861 census.

Attached as doc as I couldn't find a way to paste it.
    Attached Files
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Wife of an engineer of a steamer.

OC

Comment

Wife of an Engineer
      Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Jess

Comment

Jess, you clever cloggs lol. Why couldn't I do that?!!

In a later census the person I am looking for is the wife of a marine diver... any chance they could be related jobs?
          Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Wife of an engineer of a Mariner.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
              Wife of an engineer of a Mariner.

Janet
              That's what I was hoping for, but didn't want to sway anyones interpretation of it. Not that it makes much sense.
              Jules

Comment

I'm more inclined towards OC's Wife of an Engineer of a Steamer, above - that definitely looks like an e near the beginning.
                Gillian
                User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Janet

I did wonder if it said Mariner, but wondered why they didn't write Marine Engineer, in that case!

I'm possibly biased as I have a rellie who is described as "Ships Engineer, Steamer" lol.

OC

Comment

I can see steamer too

Comment

Thanks everyone
                      Jules

Comment

Only that have a few a few marine engineers within my own family tree and they are always referred to as Mariners. Marinerwas a favourite word used in this context.

If you look carefully at the word it is "iner" at the end of the word with the dot over the i a little to the right of the i, so if you take the first couple of letters the first letter looks like a capital M and that just leaves the next two letters which are rather difficult to read but could be a disjointed a which is wrapped into the r! Hope this makes some sense!

Janet

Comment

It looks like 'wife of an engineer of a steamer' to me. I did look at it before looking at the answers! :p

I'm sorry to say I don't think steamer engineer and marine diver are that closely linked. On the other hand they are both to do with the sea and ships so who knows!

Anne

Comment

There is an i with a dot and I have not seen the word steamer ever spelt with an i. The word wife also has an i with a dot which is in the same position. The n after the i is written the same as the n in engineer.

In fact the end of engineer ie "ineer" looks almost identical to the end of the word which appears to me to end "iner" except that the writer seems to have swallowed the second e in engineer!

OC

That's the trouble with FH we get biased towards our own and mine are all mariners!!:D

Janet
                            Last edited by Janet; 18-02-09, 15:15.

Comment

Apart from the fact that "engineer of a mariner" doesn't make sense, I definitely think it says Steamer - what looks like a dot is probably just a mark on the page. Is there another capital S or St that you can compare the beginning of the word with?

Comment

:D engineer of a mariner :D the mind boggles!

Anne

Comment

I've attached the whole census sheet. But the more I look at it, the more convinced I am that it is steamer (didn't want that answer lol)
                                  Attached Files
                                  Jules

Comment

Jules - that shows as a tiny image on my PC.

Could you post the census ref and the name of the man?
                                    Gillian
                                    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Mary

No, I agree it does not make sense, but then many things I have seen written on Census don't make sense either:D:D

Somewhere are some priceless howlers written down!

I thought it was steamer to begin with but then was not convinced.

Sorry Jules I cannot see the full image either.

Janet

Comment

Well, my engineer of a steamer later became a marine dredger, lol. Previously, he was a white fisherman. And yes, it IS the same man throughout!

Put him in your tree as "something to do with boats and the sea" lol.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X