Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mising piece of my puzzle

Hi
    thanks to the help of Merrry and a few others i am finally able to complete the life line of my gt Grandfather James John Joseph William Hummerston.

I now have his birth and marriage certs and can track him thro the census from 1871 to 1891. He was so elusive as his parents died when he was quite young and he was raised in a workhouse/orphanage, then joined the army straight from there.

I have his service record when he re-enlisted in 1914 but do not know where to look for his earlier record (1885-1897) I know he served with the 2nd Batt West Kent Regt, any ideas please.
    Also i can find no record of him in 1901. His wife Beatrice and son Albert are living in as servant and son to another family but no mention of him,she is down as married.

Can anyone help please
    Marie
    My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
    Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Is their marriage the 1910 one James W Hummerston / Beatrice S Feasey? In which case Beatrice wasn't married to him in 1901? What surname do Beatrice and Albert have in 1901, please?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

sorry Kite that should have been 1911 for Beatrice and Albert. In 1901 Beatrice is in service but no record for JJJW Hummerston.
      sorry for the confusion

Marie
      My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
      Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Comment

The 1911 census isn't complete yet so he may turn up when they add the rest, including servicemen serving abroad. I would think his service record would be at TNA but I don't think it would be online.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
        X