Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding Samuel Hatches Bailey

Hi
    I wonder if anyone can find any more info on my gt.gt.gt grandfather?

I sent for my gt.gt. grandfathers (Joseph Bailey) wedding cert and found his father was called Samuel Hatches Bailey. No mention of him being deceased.

I have found my gt.gt.gt grandmother in 1861 & 1871 censuses, where she had remarried a man called George Knowles, in 1860 Rochdale.

I'm struggling to find any traces of her previous years, with my 3 x gt.grandfather?? As far as I can see from the censuses, they had two children;
    Sarah A Bailey (b.1845 Godley, Cheshire) and my 2 x gt. grandfather Joseph Bailey (b.1853, Hollingworth)

Can anyone help me find them in the earlier censuses?

Thank you

What year was Joseph's marriage???

Comment

Hi Libby

Joseph married Hannah Leech on 10th November 1873

(have uploaded it as attachment)

Their witnesses were James Leech and Elizabeth Knowles.

I've tried to find any 'Hatches' in the area of Godley/ Hyde, but can't find any?

Tracy
      Attached Files
      Last edited by castanea1985; 18-02-09, 12:06.

Comment

So .... ggg grandmother is on the 1861 and 1871 as married a different fellow while Joseph's dad should still be alive according the marriage cert???

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
          So .... ggg grandmother is on the 1861 and 1871 as married a different fellow while Joseph's dad should still be alive according the marriage cert???
          Yes
          Samuel Hatches Bailey is listed as a joiner when they married, and no mention of being deceased? Very confusing! And one of the witnesses is Elizabeth Knowles, Josephs half sister?

Comment

Can you give me the name of Joseph's mother and maybe where she is in 1861/71.

Comment

Have you got Joseph's birth cert???

Comment

Can you give me the name of Joseph's mother and maybe where she is in 1861/71.
                Joseph's mother was Hannah Knowles (nee ?) b. 1824 Newton, Cheshire

Here they are in 1861

Piece: 3004; Folio: 70; Page: 17

I just can't trace either the Knowles family (and his first wife) or Joseph's mother Hannah and his father Samuel Hatches Bailey before 1860??

Comment

So none of those children belonged to both Hannah and George???

Comment

So none of those children belonged to both Hannah and George???
                    No? Unless they had any before they married in 1860?

Comment

The fact that it doesn't say "deceased" on the marriage cert doesn't necessarily mean he was still alive.

I've just had a quick look at FreeBMD, and there's nobody called Bailey with the middle name Hatch*.

Comment

There's a Hannah Bailey/ George Knowles marriage in June qtr 1860. Have you got that cert???

Comment

There's a Hannah Bailey/ George Knowles marriage in June qtr 1860. Have you got that cert???
                          Not yet, but I guess that would give me Hannah's maiden name??

Comment

Yes, and her marital status and previous married name if any.

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Comment

I think this may be George Knowles with a wife called Martha in 1851. The names of the daughters are the same as the 1861 census.
                                HO107; Piece: 2236; Folio: 8; Page: 9;

Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                                  I think this may be George Knowles with a wife called Martha in 1851. The names of the daughters are the same as the 1861 census.
                                  HO107; Piece: 2236; Folio: 8; Page: 9;

Moggie
                                  Thanks for that, Moggie.
                                  I have entered them into my tree, but the problem is, my direct ancestors were Samuel Hatches Bailey and Hannah ?
                                  If anyone can see either of them in the 41 or 51 census, that would be great!
                                  Thanks again.
                                  Tracy

Comment

Bearing in mind that we can't find Hannah with a husband Samuel, I wouldn't be surprised if this is her in 1841 (Hannah Bailey, unmarried, aged 17, living with parents in Newton):

Class: HO107; Piece 101; Folio: 13; Page: 21

Comment

These are probably the births of Hannah's two children:

Births Dec 1844
                                      BAILEY Sarah Ann Ashton 20 119

Births Jun 1851
                                      Bailey Joseph Ashton 20 50

Comment

A possible candidate for Joseph's father in that case would be Samuel Hatcher, c.1816, living in Northwich with wife Ann in 1841.

Comment

Working...
                                        X