How do I do a Window check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I do a Window check

How do I do a Window check did a Google but looking at the instrutions not to sure dont want to do the wrong thing any advice please thanks.

What exactly do you want to check, and why?

There are thousands of things you can check, but I need more information to be able to point you in the right direction
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you mean checking what version of Windows you're running?

In XP, click on Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System (or Start > Control Panel > System, if you're using "classic view")

In Vista, click on the Start button > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System (or Start button > Control Panel > System, if you're using "classic view")
      Last edited by Cloggie; 18-02-09, 11:48.
      Sarah

Comment

I think she means check for updates to Windows. I'm on the pocketsurfer at the moment so I can't easily post up a link but hopefully someone can?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Windows update is http://update.microsoft.com it should automatically take you to the correct updates for your version.
          Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
          Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
          Devine in Ireland

Comment

Hopefully this link will work - it automatically defaults to Vista for me, so should default to XP for XP users: http://update.microsoft.com/
            Sarah

Comment

snap Pete! :D
              Sarah

Comment

Thanks all, how can I check Windows update to check if I have the latest security and other updates on my system it was something Trevor mentioned sorry I was unable to get on the Computer untill now I will go through all the info you have given thanks again.

Granabella

Comment

It depends if you have the latest updater software installed.

If you get a screen with two buttons on it 'Express' and 'Custom' you have the latest updater and you just need to click on 'Express'. The updater will check your Windows and then list any updates that are required. Just OK it and it all happens automagically.

If the update site reports that you don't have the latest version of the updater, it should offer you the chance to download it. Just follow the prompts. I think as part of that process it checks for 'Windows Genuine Advantage' to make sure you have a legal and registered copy of Windows.
                  Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks Pete,I will look into it.

Granabella

Comment

Working...
                    X