Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Menere's where are they pre 1770?

Hi
    I am searching for my GGGG Grand father Joseph MENERE born around 1770 (place Unknown) and died 30/5/181847 Marylebone London England, married on 14/4/1809 at St George's Cof E Hanover Sqr Middlesex England to Sarah PRICKETT b around 1779 Chalfont St Peter Buckinghamshire England d9/2/1877 Chalfont St Peter Buckinghamshire England.
    They had 3 children William James b 2/8/1809 Grosvenor Square London England d 13/9/1861 Keilor Plains Victoria Australia.
    Sarah b around 1814 St Georges Hanover Sqr Middlesex England d 23/9/1894 Chalfont St Peter Buckinghamshire England.
    Edward Joseph b around 1822 place unknown perhaps St georges? d around 1867 Uxbridge Middlesex England.
    The 1851 Census shows his son William James MENERE and family living in the civil parish of Brislington Somerset, Reg Dist of Keynsham, sub reg Dist Bitton, also one Mary MENERE of the Civil Parish of Hamptonwick MDX district of Kingston sub reg dist Esher city of Surrey.
    James according to the census is a Gentleman Annuitant (pensioner?).
    Sarah MENERE (daughter of Joseph) married a John Ballard victualler Greyhound Inn, on the 1861 census for Chalfont St Peter is their daughter Sarah, and Sarah MENERE mother in law of Sarah BALLARD nee MENERE Jnr.

William James MENERE and wife Matilda had 8 children 5 were born in Louth Ireland 1 was born on the way to Australia and 2 were born in Australia.
    Back to Joseph MENERE, a lot of stories have come forward to me of which I have not investigated, here are a few = Joseph was born in France and served under Napoleon, Joseph served in both the Army and the Navy, Joseph was a heugonot, that there is chateau in France that belongs to, or once did, the MENERE family, all this is rumour at this point as I have not gone into any research of these claims.
    The IGI shows 21 MENERE's, the 1851 Census Cornwall Online Census 1851—Transcript of Piece HO107/1903 (Lanteglos By Fowey) of Cornwall Civil parish: Lanteglos By Fowey, town of Polruan shows 8 MENERE's (121, Quay, Sarah Menere, Head, M, 39, Mariner's Wife, Polruan Cornwall) I don't know if these are related to me.
    No I haven't had the money to send for certs or hire an investigator here or in England, I have spent money for paperwork from England just general stuff like where to go and look etc.
    Any further help and I will be over the moon and very greatful,
    best regards,
    Alan

I'll nudge this up, seeing as I talked yuo into putting it here...

I did a Google Book search and the marriage of Joseph and Sarah comes up in the register book, a snippet.......I hate those snippets, but apart from that there is nothing on Joseph except various sites where you've tried......lol

Comment

Sorry, I can't work out from your post what date Joseph died. Is he on the 1841 census, and if so, what does it say in the "born in same county" and "whether born in Scotland, Ireland or Foreign Parts" column?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Menere is a Cornish name (usually spelled Meneer).

What was Joseph's occupation please?

OC

Comment

Joseph MENERE

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          Sorry, I can't work out from your post what date Joseph died. Is he on the 1841 census, and if so, what does it say in the "born in same county" and "whether born in Scotland, Ireland or Foreign Parts" column?

Hi,
          I hiccupped! LOL, death date should read 30/5/1847
          Alan

Comment

Can't find Joseph in 1841.

A gentleman annuitant is usually living off some sort of annuity, shares, stocks, interest, etc. I'm not sure but I don't think it would be a pensioner as in todays understanding.

My ggg grandfather was a Royal Marines pensioner in 1833 and is called a "pensioner".

Comment

Alan..................have you found him on the 1841 census????

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

OC
                Hi OC
                Thank you for your message, but I dont know Josephs occupation sorry, the census 1861 states he is a gentleman annuitant what ever that is, clue here??
                ALan

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                  Alan..................have you found him on the 1841 census????
                  Hi Libby,
                  no I have not looked at the 1841 census yet
                  Alan

Comment

I'm lost here.....................lol

Who have you got in 1861??? If Joseph died in 1847 he still should be somewhere on 1841.

Comment

Alan......................is William James born 1809 your line????

If so, where did you get his parents??

Comment

I don't undestand, sorry - if Joseph died in 1847, how can his occupation be on the 1861 census?

OC

Comment

OC
                          Hi OC,
                          I did find MENEREs in the Cornwall Online Census 1851—Transcript of Piece HO107/1903 (Lanteglos By Fowey), I am not sure if they are connected.
                          Alan

Comment

OC..........................I think we need to work back from Alan's definite people here.

I'm not sure where he can get bcak to with accuracy.

Comment

I don't undestand, sorry - if Joseph died in 1847, how can his occupation be on the 1861 census?

OC
                              Hi OC
                              Joseph is NOT on the 1861 census, how did you come up with that? Josephs daughter Sarah is on the census along with her husband John BALLARD and their daughter Ann, also is shown Sarah MENERE senior shown as mother in law on the census.
                              Alan

Comment

I thought you said you'd found Joseph on the 1861.........lol

OK........................Where did you get Joseph and Sarah as William's parents????

Comment

I asked you what Joseph's occupation was and in post 8 you said he was a gentleman annuitant in 1861.

No matter, I think we need to work backwards as Libby says.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                                    Alan......................is William James born 1809 your line????

If so, where did you get his parents??
                                    William James MENERE is my GG grandfather son of Joseph MENERE and Sarah PRICKETT, I was informed from a person in Canada that Joseph MENERE certainly IS my GGG Grandfather, so I checked it out with a person from my local family history society, though I have no paper work to confirm the fact I have tied it together, and believe I have the correct family as it all goes back to me.
                                    Alan

Comment

I asked you what Joseph's occupation was and in post 8 you said he was a gentleman annuitant in 1861.

No matter, I think we need to work backwards as Libby says.

OC
                                      We certainly have to backpeddle, I said I did not know what Josephs occupation was, I think he may have been a lieutenant in the Army or the Navy, dont know what country he served though, thats probably why he was listed as a gentleman anuitant perhaps?

Comment

This is what I have been going through for 2 years or more "CONFUSION" LOL.

Comment

Working...
                                        X