Question about gedcom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about gedcom

I have my tree on Ancestry & on Tribal pages. I have always used Tribal pages as my main tree.... adding info to it then getting its gedcom to use else where.

Today I was in Ancestry and got carried away and added some facts to some people.
    Under their birth, marriage or christening I added a description of the parish records I had found.

I am just wondering if I export the gedcom from Ancestry and upload it to Tribal pages will that info show up? Will it clear all the notes I have in Tribal pages?

Hope I am making sense....
    I’m no genealogist …
    Until this year I spelled it “GeneOlogist!"
    ;)

Not sure without trying it.... maybe you could make another free account on TP to test it out and then delete it?

What I would say though is use one of the free building programmes such as legacy or PAF as your main tree and then put it onto TP or Ancestry. That way you have a little more control just in case they ever vanished for ever!

Comment

B. - if you upload a new gedcom to Tribal pages, it will completely replace the information already there.
      Gillian
      User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I support Peppie's view - your "master" tree must be on your PC (and backed up!) so it's 100% under your control. You can then export GEDCOM files (complete or otherwise) to online sites.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I would think your best bet for now would just be to type the same info into your Tribal Pages tree.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by ~Queen.B~ View Post

I am just wondering if I export the gedcom from Ancestry and upload it to Tribal pages will that info show up? Will it clear all the notes I have in Tribal pages?

Hope I am making sense....
            As has already been mentioned if you export from Ancestry and upload to TP you will replace the existing info already on TP. It won't merge the two sets of information, it will simply erase the current contents and replace with the new (Ancestry) version.

If the Ancestry version has less/missing information when compared to the current TP version don't import from Ancestry. The easy way to transfer a small amount of information is to type it directly into your main tree on TP, that way you won't disturb anything you already have on there.

As has been mentioned above, using one programme for inputting everything into and creating gedcom files from that "master" tree for uploading and sharing is the easiest (laziest) method, you only need input details once and then simple mouse clicks update your additional online trees.
            Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 18-02-09, 10:41.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Just had a thought if you download legacy you should be able to download both GED coms and then merge them. You can then run a report looking for errors and correct them before uploading back to tp.

There are some better experts to advise you on this than me but might be worth putting a question on the software forum here?

Comment

I have my tree in PAF on my computer, but i just don't like using it. It is 100% updated though.

Ok, so say I use my PAF as my main.... if I upload that to Ancestry will it replace the one there or will it merge. I attached a bunch of photos, sources and records to a lot of people yesterday.

I was doing research all day yesterday so its not just a little info to transfer, its a bit more lol
                I’m no genealogist …
                ;)

Comment

Download Legacy and use that. I cannot in my wildest dreams work out PAF, and don't have much more luck with Family Tree Maker.

I have Legacy 7 (Deluxe) but the freebie is fine. I had 8 different trees on the freebie and never had any problems.

Comment

Downloading now
                    I’m no genealogist …
                    ;)

Comment

Originally posted by ~Queen.B~ View Post
                      I have my tree in PAF on my computer, but i just don't like using it. It is 100% updated though.

Ok, so say I use my PAF as my main.... if I upload that to Ancestry will it replace the one there or will it merge. I attached a bunch of photos, sources and records to a lot of people yesterday.

I was doing research all day yesterday so its not just a little info to transfer, its a bit more lol

Probably best to explain the terminology first, just in case anyone reading doesn't quite get the lingo;

Upload=send a gedcom file to an online site from a computor

Download=send a gedcom file from an online site to a computer

Merge= combining the contents of an existing tree and a gedcom file together

Overwrite=the process where an uploaded gedcom file completely replaces an earlier file on an online tree site

------

Ancestry is strange, if you upload a new gedcom to Ancestry it doesn't overwrite the existing tree and neither does it merge the new info, it actually creates an entirely new tree!
                      Any existing tree you already have on Ancestry is unchanged and remains on the site until you decide to delete it.

Tribal Pages; an uploaded file overwrites the existing file

GR; uploads overwrite existing files as per TP.

FTF database; uploads overwrite same as TP and GR.

--
                      Bear in mind any images you add to a family tree programme or site will not transfer by GEDCOM files, GED files are text only and cannot support .jpg, .bmp or other image filetypes.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

And just to reinforce what has been said before

It is best to find and use a programme you are happy with and keep that as your master tree, only add info to that one programme, not every software programme and online tree site handles GED files in the same way, sometimes you find a file sent to a site doesn't display information in quite the same way you have recorded it (eg wrong dates) or it may appear that some information has been lost along the way (eg notes or sources).

If you keep sending files from one site to another and back to your tree programme you might find that a lot of stuff has gone missing on the way.

it's a bit like having a bucket full of water, emptying it into a bucket with a hole in it, then into another holey bucket, then another and another........ and finally back into the first one again....you would still have some water left but it wouldn't be full.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post

Tribal Pages; an uploaded file overwrites the existing file
                          But it doesn't delete any photos you've put on the site.

Comment

Thanks for the help and info guys.
                            I’m no genealogist …
                            ;)

Comment

Working...
                            X