Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGI search question

Hello

Ive been researching my Cartwright family and after checking on the IGI for children of Abraham Cartwright and Mary Heath.

Now I have 8 kids for them by the names of Elizabeth, William, Abraham, Isaac, Hannah, Ann, Harriett and Catherine.

They range from 1791 to 1813.

My question is how can I search to see if Ive missed any as there are a few gaps in years that Im questioning.

Ive tried to search advanced by entering parents names but it wont let me search that way.

Any help would be great.

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

What, there's an Advanced Search?! Lol. Never tried that one. I must have a go at it some time!

Anyway, go onto the ordinary search (on FamilySearch website) and put in Abraham Cartwright in father's name and Mary in mother's name (don't put in her surname as it may not be on the records.) It finds 18 matches on the IGI but some of them are duplicates or even triplicates of the same ones.

Also, if you then click on one of the "extracted" ones you will see a batch number. You can click on the batch number and then you are allowed to search within that batch using any search criteria you like, so for instance you could search for anybody with father's name Abraham and leave the surname out, etc. in case there are any that are missing mother's name or have the surname mistranscribed. I would try it but FamilySearch is suddenly going all slow on me.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thankyou Kite

Ill give that a go now.

Danny

Comment

I seem to have found 11. You would have to check which ones are submitted, as I forgot to! (obviously I don't know they are def all the same couple's children)

ELIZABETH CARTWRIGHT Christening: 25 MAY 1791 Haughton, Stafford

MARY ANN CARTWRIGHT Christening: 27 AUG 1792 Saint Lawrence, Darlaston Near Wolverhampton, Stafford

GEORGE CARTWRIGHT Christening: 11 MAY 1794 Saint Lawrence, Darlaston Near Wolverhampton, Stafford

William Cartwright Christening: 02 MAY 1796 St Peter, Wolverhampton, Stafford

Abraham Cartwright Christening: 04 MAR 1798 St Peter, Wolverhampton, Stafford

HANNAH CARTWRIGHT Christening: 02 MAR 1800 Wolverhampton, Stafford

ANN CARTWRIGHT Christening: 18 JUL 1802 Saint Peter Or Collegiate, Wolverhampton, Stafford

ISAAC CARTWRIGHT Christening: 29 APR 1804 Wolverhampton, Stafford

HARRIETT CARTWRIGHT Christening: 04 MAY 1806 Wolverhampton, Stafford

ANN CARTWRIGHT Christening: 18 JUL 1812 Wolverhampton, Stafford

CATHARINE CARTWRIGHT Christening: 10 JAN 1813 Saint Peter Or Collegiate, Wolverhampton, Stafford

Comment

Thankyou Merry

They look correct as they fill in the gaps between the ones I had.

And thankyou again Kite.

Danny

Comment

What Ill do is check them all against the parish records to be absolutely positive.

Danny

Comment

It's the only way to go Danny. I've never found a family search transcription to be wrong but that way you'll know there is nothing missed and everything is correct.
              Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
                I've never found a family search transcription to be wrong
                I found one just yesterday.

The extracted entry refers to "Jane daughter of George and Mary Sparks", but the parish register for the same date clearly says "James son of George and Mary Sparks" (which makes sense, because there's no James in the extracted batch, and a James but no Jane is mentioned in George's will).

Comment

I've found an extracted Family Search entry to be wrong..

Wiiliam Ariel and Elizabeth Kirkby's marriage. The enrty has Elizabeth Hinkley.

It took ages and a lot of scrolly type writing (lucky OH is a draftsman) to see Hinkley could easily have come from Kirkby.

Comment

Working...
                  X