Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look-ups

I'm a bit confuddled here.

I know the rules on this site and I have absolutely no argument with them - no C+P - that's fine but.......

How does 'another' site allow them - are they not encouraging people to break the rules as set down by those sites from which they are lifted?

Another question - I 'gathered' (in my wisdom ) some time ago and not from here, that it was ok to C+P if you left bits out ie it wasn't a direct 'lift' - is that so?

Can I re-iterate, this is no way a criticism of the rules here - I'm just curious. I hope I haven't caused offence.

Gwyn

Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Originally posted by Oscar View Post
    How does 'another' site allow them - are they not encouraging people to break the rules as set down by those sites from which they are lifted?
    There are lots of sites that appear not to be concerned about copyright violation.

Another question - I 'gathered' (in my wisdom ) some time ago and not from here, that it was ok to C+P if you left bits out ie it wasn't a direct 'lift' - is that so?
    We would recommend that you do not copy and paste as such. Copy data and transcribe it so that it doesn´t appear to be a direct lift from another site.

Can I re-iterate, this is no way a criticism of the rules here - I'm just curious. I hope I haven't caused offence.
    I think the copyright regulations that have been drawn up by FTF are there to not only protect its members but also to protect Pippa and Russ as the owners of the site.

... and no offence taken!
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine - I didn't quite know how to put it, but as I've said, it's not criticism, just curiosity.

Gwyn

Comment

It´s strange, but I was answering a question on another site a couple of days ago, where a copy and paste from Ancestry is the norm but I just couldn´t bring myself to do it!
        Elaine

Comment

Strange you should mention that Elaine. I answered one on GR last night, giving the ref no and a general outline of the family. It didn't go down well.

I can't understand,when people are tracing their families, why they haven't access to either FMP or A....y. Surely, if you take it seriously, you have to have access to one or the other. Then the cynical part kicks in do people expect everything for 'nowt' and expect all their answers for free?

Gwyn

Comment

Apart from the legality of it all, the subscription sites are going to start getting tougher soon.

We have already seen a huge increase in Ancestry subs. If more people had a sub then perhaps the cost would be lower?

I couldn't afford an Ancestry sub for years, but I was very careful not to ask for lookups unless I was utterly desperate, and always felt like a cheapskate when I did.

That is of course very different from asking for help to find a specific thing they can't find themselves, or from an absolute beginner, who hasn't cottoned on to the fact they are going to need to sub to a lookup site.

There used to be someone on GR - gone now, I think - who would start the evening asking for a 1901 lookup and by the end of the evening was posting "And now the 1861, 51 and 41" - not even PLEASE or THANKYOU. I should think he got every branch of his tree back to 1841 without spending a ha'penny of his own money, nor a minute of his own time.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

There used to be someone on GR - gone now, I think - who would start the evening asking for a 1901 lookup and by the end of the evening was posting "And now the 1861, 51 and 41" - not even PLEASE or THANKYOU. I should think he got every branch of his tree back to 1841 without spending a ha'penny of his own money, nor a minute of his own time.

OC
              Where'a the fun in that? He'd feel no sense of achievment whatsoever. The people who bug me, are the one's prepared to accept all info found for them, and when it's suggested they buy a certificate to be sure the right people are being researched .........they say 'not necessary, I'm sure you've found the right family' even though it's been explained that 2 Joe Bloggs born similar years were born in the same village. I appreciate not everyone can afford to buy certificates, but I do think some people are just too tight.

Comment

There seems to be a growing tendency for some helpers, on other sites, to automatically paste in the households for every census including forwards and backwards from the one requested plus births, marriages etc.

I always feel the recipients are being cheated out of the thrill of finding the information themselves.
                Gillian
                User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

The other problem with someone doing lookups on the cheap is not having the original image. When I ask for help for someone elusive the first thing I do if someone finds them is to go and see the image for myself. Not because I don't trust people but because I like seeing the original.
                  Kit

Comment

I like to think there is always a bit of 'give and take'.
                    We have members on here who maybe cannot afford subscriptions to external sites and for that reason I am happy to help with a lookup or two. However, what I have noticed is that generally these members contribute something back into our FTF community in other ways, either via the general discussion forum or the support threads .. and it is very rarely that you don´t get a 'please' and 'thank you'.
                    Elaine

Comment

To take Gillian's point - I too have noticed that a request say for the 1891 census will produce results including birth, marriage, death and probably e few more records thrown in.

Part of the fun is the thrill of the chase isn't it and if I had to ask, I'd rather have the direction pointed out to me and then hunt for the rest myself. Far more satisfying except for OH who has to put up with my 'yeah's of delight once I've struck gold!

Gwyn

Comment

I can understand about being careful on copyright on copying out census and other details from Ancestry/Findmypast etc but does this apply to C&P on other matters like C&P details of the Terms and Conditions of a site like Findmypast? I have been guilty of C&P such details myself on here and did not really think about it.

Janet

Comment

Janet

No, I don't think C + P terms of conditions would come uder the heading of "stealing information" which is what copyright is all about.

OC

Comment

Working...
                          X