Bigamy and scandal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigamy and scandal!

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me get a clearer picture of the life of my great-grandmother. Here's the story so far, everything takes place in Edinburgh.

In 1896 Jane-Ann Drury marries John Cummings in RC church and has two children Thomas (1897) and Helen (1899). I presume John must then have died as she subsequently styles herself a widow but I've never been able to find his death.

Between 1904 and 1914 she has 6 children with Andrew Mason. On all the children's birth entries a marriage year of 1902 is given but no record exists of a marriage until 1911, again in RC church.

From 1915 onwards Andrew is hospitalised for insanity brought on by syphillis!

Jane Ann has a son with a man called Irving Bushby in 1919, sadly he dies at 10 months. On the birth entry she states her husband Andrew died in 1912. Later in 1920 she marries Irving in the registry office - but Andrew is still alive! He doesn't die til 1924.

Jane-Ann outlives Irving and dies in 1945, having had a total of 9 children.

Sorry for the long story but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about:

1) Confirming when John Cummings died
    2) Is it possible she did marry Andrew Mason in 1902, even though there's no record until 1911?
    3) Is bigamy common at that time??

http://o.mfcreative.com/f1/file02/ob...9f9abd16-0.jpg

Click for a pic of her - she was some woman!
    Researching Harris, Mason, Murray, Dickson and Denovan in Scotland, Drury and Brady in Ireland, and Boothby, Gower, Waghorn, Blyth and Humphrey in England.

It seems pretty unlikely that she married Andrew in 1902, otherwise why would they marry in 1911? I wonder whether John died in 1911 and that made her free to marry Andrew then. If John's death isn't on Scotland's People is it possible that he died in another country? Bigamy was more common than you might think because divorces were so hard to get in those days.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

That's what I thought - but it means she has consistently lied to the registrar, shameless! Maybe John Cummings did die in another country, I don't know... it's all very mysterious.

I wonder what the priest thought of all of this, presumably he'd been christening the children born prior to the marriage in 1911. Maybe the church would keep a record?
      Researching Harris, Mason, Murray, Dickson and Denovan in Scotland, Drury and Brady in Ireland, and Boothby, Gower, Waghorn, Blyth and Humphrey in England.

Comment

My great-grandmother also married biagmously, in 1918, saying she was a widow. She and G/gfather appear to be not living together in 1911 census and he migrated to Australia in 1914. He did not remarry until she died in 1923. When she remarried in 1918 she said she was a widow. I know in the early days, if one's partner was transported "beyond the seas" you could remarry, but don't think it applied by the 20th century.

I agree with Kiterunner, she probably did not divorce, as it was very hard to get and did not remarry until 1911.

The parish priest probably baptised the children, to make sure they were brought up as Catholics. The parish registers might have some notes, depending on the priest.

Di
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I think that a Catholic marriage could be annulled on grounds of insanity brought on by syphilis, so maybe this is a possibility to consider.

Unfortunately, I do not have A CLUE where you would find an annulment in Scotland. Hopefully, someone else will know.

OC

Comment

Sometimes couples separated and moved on, before there previous partner had moved on, if you know what I mean.
            Kit

Comment

It's good to know my ggranny wasn't the only bigamist about! I just wonder if she did it twice, naughty scamp. I've made an appointment with the church tomorrow morning to look at their records so hopefully that will yield something.

Comment

Well having done it once it would be easier the next time LOL :p

Anne

Comment

As an aside, I was VERY surprised to find no less than FOUR divorces on my Scottish side, all pre 1900. They were not well to do people either.

OC

Comment

Working...
                  X