Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Date for this photo and how old do you reckon the woman was?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date for this photo and how old do you reckon the woman was?

The person who has sent this to me reckons the woman is the childrens grandmother. I have my doubts. I don't think she looks old enough. She was 71 when she died and from the age of the children, that must have been quite close to that time.

I think she looks too young to be the grandmother as well.
    Fran

Comment

I agree ... she looks too young and upright.
      I have photos of my gt gran who died in the 1930s aged 73.
      She looks about 90

have enlarged your mystery woman

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 17-02-09, 17:29.
      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Rachel

Any ideas of when the photo would have been taken?

Comment

more the mother..or a nanny brenda xxx

Comment

The problem is:

This was attached to the photo

The children's mother wrote it, we think.

See this thread

Comment

Does it not say
              'Mother and the three little ones & a ???? (little ?) friend ....'

Final 2 words I don't know
              ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                Does it not say
                'Mother and the three little ones & a ???? (little ?) friend ....'

Final 2 words I don't know
                Rachel

I think that ????? word is little

The last two words I think are gathering bluebells

Any ideas of the date of the photo?

Comment

Oooo 'gathering bluebells' ... yes .... lovely we used to do that when I was a wee thing

You need Barbara or Don to give you a date

Barbara's light's not on at the moment :(

Comment

Redacted
                    Last edited by Penelope; 17-02-09, 23:39.

Comment

I would suggest a dateline prior to 1910 as this was the year that hemlines rose above the vamp of the shoe and by 1912 it had risen to be just level or just above the ankle line. One thing is for sure is that what ever year it was taken it would have been between April and June as this is when Bluebells are in bloom.

don

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

I agree with Don as to dates, I also think it could be grandma, if you look very hard she is not a young woman, my own g.granny was a tiny very upright woman, ( she wore button boots and believed a lady stood up straight!)

Comment

Here's mine aged 72
                            S'pose it depends on ones circumstances

Comment

Rachel, love the photo, but think, if you changed her old lady clothes and gave her a different hat, now look at the other lady......

Comment

Naaaaa ... some people just look old .. here she is abt 15 years earlier
                                (different hat) ;)

Comment

I LOVE the hat..!:D

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
                                    I LOVE the hat..!:D
                                    I don't have many pics of her but she's never in the same hat twice
                                    Think one of her nieces was a milliner, so maybe she made them

One day I'll colour it ... and maybe add a couple of bananas ? !!!!

Comment

This is my 4x great aunt in August 1939 when she was 71. Not sure if that helps at all?

I don't think she looks 71, so maybe the lady in your photo is that age

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Managed to find more pics of same family

I'm wondering if the notes were written by a older child.

Is this woman the same as in the first one? Frank, mentioned in the notes the older boy, was born in 1902.

Comment

Working...
                                        X