Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To quote Jeremy Clarkson..

"where's the money?"

I received a will yesterday for OH's GG GF. His net cash was £1300 ish and he mentions his house that he had built in which he resides. His real estate 'wheresoever situate'. Linen, china, pictures, prints, plated ware (which I assume to mean 'the family silver'). He owned a pub and mentions 'all my carts, carriages and horses'

He was by no means as wealthy as Clarkson's Kilner people but for 1888 he must have been very comfortable indeed! I need to get his death cert as this will is dated just a month before he died. I'm guessing he was ill and he knew it, but I suppose he may have been bumped off:p

OH asked me if York would do a transcription for me. Ha! Where would be the fun in that (even if they did). I am really enjoying transcribing it myself and may have to ask assistance for one or two words but it is going well.

Just wanted to share that with you lol.
    Rose

Oh Rose I think that's so exciting! I helped another member with odd words on one she got, and it's fascinating.

Have worked out, in today's money, what that money, for example would be worth?

Measuring Worth - Purchasing Power of British Pound

In 2007, £1300 0s 0d from 1880 is worth
    £92,809.58 using the retail price index.
    £670,639.98 using average earnings.
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

no Dorothy, I did mean to ask.

Does anyone know?
      Rose

Comment

Rose - edited above!
        Dorothy G

Comment

cross posted there

*faints with shock!*

This requires much further research.
          Rose

Comment

:D:D

Yes - it's quite an eye-opener isn't it!

I find that site is a bit addictive!! And frightening at times.

For example, I put the cost of our house, when late husband bought it (I've got the original Mortgage agreement) against today's prices* and it in fact only goes to show in fact how inflated actual prices to be paid are today, waaaaaay ahead of real inflation rates! No wonder young people very often can't afford them.

* That site goes up to 2007.
            Dorothy G

Comment

*stumbles around in a cyber-daze*
              Rose

Comment

C'mon then Rosie, spill the beans, where was the rellie then?

A slightly later (1901) will for one of my lot being around £1,500 is probably a similiar value to the one you are looking at.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Glen, here in Newark on my very doorstep.

Sadly he is one of OH's, but this has fuelled his interest somewhat as you might imagine!
                  Rose

Comment

I keep threatening to send away for another 1901 will (Lincoln chap, same as the other one i mentioned). This time the rellie was a pub landlord/hotelier and mineral water manufacturer. Directories are pretty good where this chap is concerned.

I fluked finding one of his bottles on e-bay, cost me a fortune, 99p (plus nearly £4 p&p:D)

1885 Publican of the Durham Ox Publc House, Oxford St, Lincoln, also Mineral Water Manufacturer
                    1889 Publican of the Bulls Head Public House, Silver Street, Lincoln, also Mineral Water Manufacturer
                    1891 Bulls Head
                    1901 Cornhill Hotel, Cornhill, Lincoln.

1901 London Gazette reference for claims on his estate give the dates etc and names of executors, one executor was a chap from Newark, (Charles Baker) just checking the details i think the two families are connected by marriage though in the gazette Mr Baker is recorded as an engineer i think in the census he is a gun dealer/gun maker.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen

Same site as above:

In 2007, £1500 0s 0d from 1901 is worth
                      £116,755.63 using the retail price index.
                      £624,290.39 using average earnings.
                      Dorothy G

Comment

Rosie

Youv'e really done it now.

Looking at Mr Baker and his wife it seems that her extended family could connect into both my main lines, thanks to two distinctive surnames it just might mean someone ends up rtawling a few census returns now. If anyone moans it's not my fault, if this thread hadn't appeared i wouldn't have looked....honest

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Dubonnet lady View Post
                          Glen

Same site as above:

In 2007, £1500 0s 0d from 1901 is worth
                          £116,755.63 using the retail price index.
                          £624,290.39 using average earnings.
                          Thanks, i did use another site a while ago and it came out at around the £110,000 region.

I have a much earlier one (late 1600's), not worth as much but names two dozen cousins all getting from a few pence to £5 each, a real swine to read and not helpful at all because of a naming pattern, heaven knows how they decided which cousin Joseph was due a penny and which was due £5, there are eight "my cousin Joseph" entries in that one

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Redacted

Comment

I agree Penelope, I only wish I could find more wills! I have got to page 2 on my transcribing. I have flicked through the whole will and it seems that Frederick William wanted to make sure his grandchildren were educated.

Glen, sorry to set you off again lol. Don't forget the offer is always open if you want a picture of anywhere in Newark.

*makes note to avoid threads by Glen asking for census lookups*:p
                              Rose

Comment

Lovely when you find that, Rose, eh? You may find mention of your family in other people's wills as well, so you never know how much else you have to find!

Comment

Working...
                                X