opinion please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinion please

I have been having great difficulty in finding GG Grandfather (Daniel Sullivan), and was wondering if anyone could please give me their opinion on when/where I should be looking for a birth after putting together the dates from the census and my records. In summary this is what I have
    1901 Census;15yo making him poss b1886-Place of Birth "London St. Lukes"
    When he married 19/02/1906 he was noted as 21yo making him born around 1885, noted as living at 160 Lever St St Lukes.
    1911 Census; 24yo making him possibly b.1887-Place of Birth "City of London"
    Obviously there is some discrepancy with his year of birth/age, and I understand that they didn't really keep proper records of their age but I would like to if possible narrow this search down alittle. Any opinions greatfully recieved.
    [COLOR="Purple"][COLOR="darkorchid"]Thanks

Mystic.........

Hi,
    have you tried this one?

Daniel Sullivan 1887 Jan-Feb-Mar London City Greater London, London, Middlesex

Have you tried the 'date of birth estimator' at the top of this page?

I don't think your dates are too far off, but (see my thread about 'Smith') sometimes you have to order more than one certificate if you're not sure...

Comment

Hi Petrina. Thats the one I was thinking of ordering....I have attempted to order other certs. (about 3 or 4 in total) but it seems I haven't quite had the details right and the GRO have ended up refunding part of my money, I suppose thats why I was after a second opinion. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my request. I haven't actually tried to use the 'date of birth estimator' but will do so now.

Mystic.........

Comment

Have you tried to pinpoint his age and place of birth on the 1891 census.
        If you have his marriage certificate it should show his father´s name and occupation which should help find him.
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

I have a possible "Daniel" age 6yo living with a Foster family in Spitalfields, it states he was born in Spitalfields. I'm not sure if this is the correct record.

His marriage cert states that his fathers name is "Thomas" but I haven't had any luck quoting his name when trying to get Daniels birth cert, but I think I might have been searching in the wrong year, thats why I thought I might ask for an opinion.

Mystic.........

Comment

I've just been looking at the 1891 census and am bothered by a six-year-old foster child said to have been born in Spitalfields. I can't yet see any Daniels with a father Thomas or with no father, except for this foster child.

Do you know who the marriage witnesses were?

Comment

and is the father, Thomas, still alive on the cert ?

Have also been looking on the 1891 census ... if Daniel's the one with older bro George (1901) then where's George in 1891 ? :(

Isn't St Lukes the Chelsea area or is there another ?

Thought Chelsea would be Middx rather than London ... confused
              ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

The Daniel who is with his brother George in 1901 (both b St Luke's) ought to be traceable in 1891 to confirm their father's name, but I'm not having any luck with them at the moment.

Comment

Thomas appears to be alive when Daniel got married. The witness' on the marriage cert are Robert Stephen Bullen and Josephine Gibbons.

The George on the 1901 Census is (I think) the brother of my Daniel. I have had not luck finding him either. I have tried to order birth certs for both George and Daniel using fathers name but no success as yet.

I think the 1901 census is correct as Daniel marrys a neighbour Alice Sharpling in 1906.

* Daniels name on the Marriage cert is "Daniel Denis Sullivan" and there is no Daniel Dennis Sullivan records of birth, so I assume he has adopted the Dennis by his own choosing-"
                  Last edited by Mystic; 17-02-09, 12:03.

Mystic.........

Comment

There is a family with a Thomas H Sullivan c1852 born in Ireland that has a son George but once again the dates don't quite tie in, but I think that it could be my connection but as yet can't prove it.

Mystic.........

Comment

What is Thomas' occupation on the marriage cert ?

I'm now looking for George in 1881 and not getting on too well
                      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Mystic View Post
                        The George on the 1901 Census is (I think) the brother of my Daniel. I have had not luck finding him either. I have tried to order birth certs for both George and Daniel using fathers name but no success as yet.

I think the 1901 census is correct as Daniel marrys a neighbour Alice Sharpling in 1906.

* Daniels name on the Marriage cert is "Daniel Denis Sullivan" and there is no Daniel Dennis Sullivan records of birth, so I assume he has adopted the Dennis by his own choosing-"
                        I wonder if the "St Lukes" dittoed down from the family before them in 1901 is an enumerator error? Not that it helps much if Daniel has put City of London in 1911!

Comment

Housebreaker......that right Housebreaker NOT Horsebreaker, weird occupation I know. I haven't had any luck with him either, even asked on other forums, seems to be dead end??

Mystic.........

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                            Isn't St Lukes the Chelsea area or is there another ?
                            St Lukes is Old Street area. Lever Street rings a bell from when I worked in that area. St Lukes church wqs a ruin when I worked there but it was restored about 10 years ago.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

No luck here
                              Have been looking for anyone with the first name George or Geo*** born 1873 +/- 10 years ... St Lukes

Did a similar search for Dan*** and Den*** on the 1891 census, hoping for any odd looking surnames which might be a possible mistranscription

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to look for this Rachel (and Merry) it has been a brick wall for me for a while now, very greatful for your efforts. I appreciate all you have/are doing but I must sign off now as it is midnight here and my eyes are hanging out my head..lol Not a pretty sight! Thanks again....

Mystic.........

Comment

Here I go again....fingers crossed I have a bit of luck this time with "Daniel Sullivan 1887 Jan-Feb-Mar London City Greater London, London, Middlesex"

Mystic.........

Comment

Working...
                                  X