Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Records, how to!

Hi
    I am looking for my great Grandfather's death certificate. I cannot find it registered. I have read the site, learners bit about finding records but properly looking on wrong sites. I know he died in Liverpool 1955, his name Joseph Thomas Dowd.(yes him again). I do have his burial bill, would this be enough to get a certificate? as I would have rough dates and area.

Thank atticus

I am assuming that this is him

1955 Oct/Nov/Dec
    Joseph T Dowd age 87
    District Liverpool North
    Vol 10d
    Page 278

If you go to the GRO web site, you can order the cert with this information
    Last edited by vikki brace; 16-02-09, 19:42. Reason: wrong one
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Hi,
      Bear in mind that deaths are registered in the district where the death took place, rather than the district of normal abode. So, a funeral service/burial near to the place of abode doesn't neccessarily indicate that the death took place there too.

Both my maternal grandparents and my Mum died in hospital in Hull, so all 3 deaths were registered there. All 3 were buried in the churchyard of the village where they lived - 20+ miles from Hull and in a different registration district from where the deaths were registered.

Have you found any possible registrations for that name in 1955?

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Here is the link to the GRO

General Register Office (GRO) - Official information on births, marriages and deaths
        Vikki -

Comment

Thank you all, you have all been a great help. Vikki where did you actually get the info, as I said I searched some sites to no avail, I must look in the wrong places. Janet thank you for pointing that out, now you have said it, it makes sense. But I am here to learn.

Thank you atticus

Comment

In answer to the "how to" part of your question:

For an event as late as 1955 in England/Wales you need to search the full index via a site such as Ancestry or FindMyPast (FMP).

The freebmd website coverage is pretty near to complete up to about 1920, for anything later than that the coverage is best described as patchy.

Another useful (but again incomplete) site for the north west area is available on the UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths Indexes & Census transcriptions for the UK, On-Line website, you won't get the GRO refs there though, all reference numbers given on the site are local register office reference numbers and can be used to order certificates from the local (to the event) register office.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Sorry I disapeared for a while.

I used the ancestry web site. They have the full indexes up to 2005 scanned pages, They have not been fully transcribed though but once you know the name and approximate year it is quite easy to search.
              Vikki -

Comment

Working...
              X