Toby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toby

I am fairly new to the forum. I have taken up a search for my gransmother's line. Her father was named Thomas James Toby and born in Devon in 1865. The family lived in and around Exeter. However I can go back one more generation to Thomas Toby born in 1841 and then find little or no references to Toby. Does anyone have a Toby in their lines. Thanks

If you haven't already tried it you can search the database of names uploaded to this site by clicking on the Gedcom button at the top of the page and selecting search.
    Margaret

Comment

Lots of TOBY on the IGI in Devon, back to , well, almost forever!

is your bloke the 1866 Exmouth one? Son of Thomas & Mary E?
      Jess

Comment

hi toby welcome to our big family brenda xxx

Comment

Toby

To Jess, yes, he is the son of Thomas and Mary E. I did search under gencom and the only results were the files I uploaded. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Comment

Is this the Thomas and Mary E marriage??

Marriages Sep 1863
            ----------------------------

Cox Mary Elizabeth Totnes 5b 323
            Toby Thomas Totnes 5b 323
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

There is a likely candidate for Thomas sr (born about 1840-1 Sidmouth) on the 1861 census with parents William and Hannah. William is a Master Baker. If you get Thomas and Mary Elizabeth's marriage certificate then it will tell you whether those details are right for your Thomas's father (assuming that is the right marriage of course!)
              Then in 1851 ancestry has the surname for that family mistranscribed as Soby and there is a stepdaughter ("daughter-in-law") Maria Sansom. William's wife is down as Anna on that one, so probably there will be a marriage between William Toby and Anna or Hannah Sansom. But because Maria is younger than Thomas, this probably means that Anna is Thomas's stepmother. Looking at the 1841 census there is a Thomas age 1 in Exeter with parents William and Jane. William is a "Miller J" i.e. journeyman, which matches his occupation in 1851.
              So if this is the correct family, hopefully you can get the birth certificate for Thomas to get Jane's maiden name, then look for William and Jane's marriage. It looks likely that they married before 1837 though, so it wouldn't be a full marriage certificate with fathers' details, but hopefully it will help you to get back further.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Glen, yes this is the correct Toby. Any additional that you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Toby update

Kiterunner
                  This is terrific. It makes sense. I know that Thomas born in 1841 became a Master Baker. It stands to reason that he learned that from his father. The William you mentioned being a Baker.

It gives me a new set of leads. Thanks a lot

Comment

Hi Renshi

I was stabbing in the dark a bit, not having access to Ancestry at the moment means i couldn't check for them on the census but based on the post KiteRunner made it looks like there are a few things for you to follow up on.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                    X