Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welsby Family: Only A Photo to give me a Lead !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welsby Family: Only A Photo to give me a Lead !

Hi Everyone,

I can't believe the help & advice I've had in the couple of days that I've been a member on this great website.

While I'm waiting for the D.C. & further info on Harry (Henry) Freeman, I'm trying to start some research on my Mother's younger Brother. I was very close to him as he lived with me, my Mother & my Grandmother when I was growing up in Liverpool. His name was John David Welsby.

There is a section of his life that is a puzzle to me, as I knew him to have never married & yet when he died in- 1993, I found a Photograph of a Women & a young Girl of about 14/15 yrs. The young girl was the absolute image of my Uncle & I'm wondering if he was actually married or perhaps had a partner at one time & this could perhaps be his daughter.

The photograph of the girl was a very early colour photograph, perhaps taken mid to late 40's or early 50's (pure guess work) If so, this young girl would be about 50 to 60 years old- if she is still alive today.

The photo of the Woman was an older photograph, perhaps taken during WW2 era & the Woman was then, in her 20's - 30's... & so, may have now died.

I found the photos enclosed in a tiny calendar booklet, which had a red rose on the cover. My Uncle was a very sentimental person. They were together on a page with a pencil marking the date 1944. I cannot find any marriage for him & my Uncle (like my Mum) never bothered with anyone else. I had such a tiny & very, very private family, nothing was ever talked of !

So, who are these people ? How the hell do I start the research with only a couple of photos ? My only clue is that I know that my Uncle John could not go to war. He suffered with a chest condition throughout his life & so failed the medical.

During the war I believe that he worked somewhere down south close to Dunstable & he had friends who lived in Dunstable who I visited in the mid 50's with my Uncle. EDITED by Wallaby:- Their family name was R****y (Ch**** & C***y R*****) Their children's names were, S**, M*****, P****, F*** & I forget the youngest boys name (R*****). They will all be in their 50' & 60's now.

My Uncle was an Engineer- Toolmaker. He may have worked at an Ammunition Factory during WW2 somewhere in that region of Dunstable or the surrounding area. He was born in 1920 & died in 1993. From the late 1970's he had moved to Wales for health reasons. He died at the Abergelli Chest Hospital where he had spent many a time in & out over the years.

So, my research has now stretched from Harry or Henry Freeman to John David Welsby. If anyone can help or suggest where to start I will be very grateful.

Regards,

Wallaby
    Last edited by Wallaby; 19-04-10, 13:57. Reason: Taken out Living Names
    We should never forget them,
    Because we would not be here today, but for them.
    We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
    Because we all have them…
    Them… were our Ancestors.

A difficult one. You could try writing to the local Dunstable papers asking for information.

If this child was your uncle's, she may or may not have known about him.
    Assuming your uncle never married and she was illegitimate his name may not have been on the birth certificate so you can't check the birth registrations can you? If her mother was married she may well have put her husband's name down as the girl's father and the girl may have been brought up thinking he was her father.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

what about looking for the children in the Ancestry Phone Directories ?
      Last edited by Rachel Scand; 21-06-09, 16:24.
      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
        what about looking for the Reilly children in the Ancestry Phone Directories ?
        Yes Rachel, I've thought of that as a last resort. The eldest Boy Fred, may remember something, if I can trace them. I'll go down other avenues before I start looking for them tho. I want to handle this delicately, as Little Gem has pointed out, my Uncle may have had an extra marital affair or something. Altho, he wasn't the type to do something like that- even during times of war- both my Uncle & my Mum had very old fashion views on such things & far too much integrity for their own good!

I'm going to trace thru all the deaths during those years first. My only remaining 2nd Cousin tells me that, whenever she asked her Mum- why it was that Uncle John had never married (Her Mum was my 1st Cousin & she has now died) she would not disclose anything, (yet another family secret) but she would drift off with such sadness in her eyes, as if she was thinking of perhaps some tragedy.

But, you never know what you can uncover once the research starts... so, I'll thread carefully.

Thanks,

Wallaby

Comment

Did your uncle leave a will? If so, there may be some names mentioned
          Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
            Did your uncle leave a will? If so, there may be some names mentioned
            Hi Night Owl !

His only Asset was his home in Wales, which I had bought for him in the mid 1980's & that was passed back to me after his death. That was the only thing he had of any value & so, he left all he had to me, which is why I have his personal papers & how I found the photos.

It was as if he had left them there for me to find, which is why I'm thinking that I have uncovered another sad story in my family. I don't think that my Uncle would have left these photos for me to find, if it was that he had had an extra marital affair & if these people in the photos have another family somewhere.

If I really felt that that was the case then I would let the past be the past & I wouldn't be pursuing this. I just have this gut feeling that these people are dead & that there is some tragedy behind this.

Wallaby

Comment

Hi Everyone,

After sending some letters out to half-a-dozen people with the family name of Reilly around the Dunstable & Luton areas I have received a lead tonight from one of my letters.

I had spelt the name Reilly, but I've learnt that their name is actually "Riley" But, I've been lucky enough to send one of the letters to a person who knows the "Riley family" & he has spoken to their youngest son, who's name I couldn't remember. He has confirmed that his parents were freinds of my Uncle. So I've found the correct family & my letter has been forwarded on to them !

So, how luck was that.

I'll keep you posted when I here more.

Regards,

Wallaby

Comment

Ooo brilliant! Maybe they will be able to fill in the missing details about your Mum & dad as well if your Uncle ever mentioned it to them?

My fingers are well & truly crossed for you!

Joanie

Comment

How quickly things are taking off for you:D I wish you well in your search.

Comment

Gosh, that's fabulous, isn't it!!

Comment

Well done. This family may or may not know alot about your uncle but they may point you in the right direction.
                      Kit

Comment

Keep us posted.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I've not updated this thread for a long time as we have all been busy elsewhere !

But briefly, I received a lovely reply from my Uncles John's friends who are now approaching 90 ! So, I wrote a nice letter & enclosed some photos. On the last paragraph I asked if they might know who the woman & young girl were & if they knew if John had ever married or had a partner in his younger years.

I never received a reply...

So, I don't know what to make of that...

W

Comment

Wallaby,
                            I think that given their age either one or both of them is ill/has died and therefore your request has taken a back seat in their lives. Did you have a phone number for them or an address for one of their children?
                            I would try another contact on the lines of being concerned and wondering if your letter reached them.
                            I suppose it's always possible they were connected to the people you sent a photo of and perhaps that's why they have not replied.
                            I would definitely write again.
                            Margaret

Comment

Hi Wallaby

These are the local papers for Dunstable. You may be able to trawl back through the obituaries to see if your people are mentioned.

Dunstable Gazette: Dunstable Today: News, Sport, Jobs, Property, Cars, Entertainments & More

Beds. on Sunday: About us - Bedfordshire on Sunday, news - Sunday newspaper editorial guidelines
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                                Hi Wallaby

These are the local papers for Dunstable. You may be able to trawl back through the obituaries to see if your people are mentioned.

Dunstable Gazette: Dunstable Today: News, Sport, Jobs, Property, Cars, Entertainments & More

Beds. on Sunday: About us - Bedfordshire on Sunday, news - Sunday newspaper editorial guidelines

Thanks for this Uncle John... how appropriate your name is ! I'll scroll thru these tonight. I think I'll do as Margaret recommends too, & write to them again. At the age they both are, anything could have happened to them. The letter I did get from them was written by C*****y who was the wife of John's friend. She told me she was in a wheelchair & that C***k (her Husband) couldn't see. So maybe something has happened to C****y & C****k can't write. So, I'll try again.

Thanks U.C & Margaret,

W

Comment

Working...
                                X