Archived Newspapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archived Newspapers

About a year or so ago I was able to search and copy articles from the Newcastle Courant of the 1800s. Unfortunately I cannot remember how I found it!

The print outs do not show the web address. Is anyone able to help?

Thank you

That was probably the Gale Database of victorian newspapers. Many libraries offer free access via your library card either in house or at home. Have a look at your local library's website to see if you have access.
    Hail Spode!

Comment

Hi Guybrush

You are probably right. Unfortunately my Library only has the Times site but thanks anyway.

Comment

I don't know if that newspaper is on here (North of England Newspaper Archive) but it might be worth a look

Untitled Document
        Jackie

Comment

If you register with Lancashire libraries, they then give you a temporary password to use to access the Gale databases. They then send you a proper password through the post.
          I have no idea if this works for anyone outside the UK.

how to join a lancashire county library

Comment

Hi forgetmenot

Have just joined Lancs Library Service, thanks.

I must confess I did hesitate for a while before doing so, not being a local ratepayer (I live in the South) and all that! However I could see nothing that said I could not join and the implied fact that overseas people could also join helped out. By coincidence I do visit Ormskirk Library at least twice a year.

Comment

I joined with no trouble, and the stuff they sent through the post came within a couple of days. Am still accessing their databases ok.

Comment

Lancashire Library

thanks for the link to Lancashire libraries.

I have made myself a member and got access to their newspaper archives.
                What a mine of infomation!!!

Have found several rellies(mainly in the court reports) who where transported for different reasons,but it has filled a few blanks in my tree

Thanks again
                Marie
                My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
                Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Comment

Hi forgetmenot,

My thanks too for a great link, I read their site and they certainly seem to welcome anyone so I joined.

The newspaper archives are such a great resource when you happen to be lucky and always interesting to read in a spare moment anyway.

Ice

Comment

I think you may need to enjoy it while you can. Bedfordshire libraries had to take access away from everyone living outside the county when Gale found out as they were in breach of their contract :o

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                      I don't know if that newspaper is on here (North of England Newspaper Archive) but it might be worth a look

Untitled Document
                      This looks like a great site but the transcriptions aren't good. Also the OCR isn't too accurate but it has papers I've not seen before so it will be worth perservering.
                      Kit

Comment

Working...
                      X