Victorian Civil Engineers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victorian Civil Engineers

One of my 4xG Grandaddys (Richard Davis) said his profession was a Civil Engineer in 1861. I always thought Civil engineers were few and far between and were generally noted for their works. I've found nothing of him so far apart from censuses and a couple of marriage announcements of his daughters.

In 1871 he's a Modeller and Draftsman which makes me suspect he's just working for a government contracted building firm or something.

Could anyone suggest how I might go about finding out more about him if he was a Civil Engineer?
    Hail Spode!

My g-grandfather's brother was a civil engineer. He (apparently) didn't really have any training as such, just an aptitude for the work and an uncle who was a mechanical engineer and who gave his nephew a rather fabricated reference in order to get his first job.

I contacted ICE - Institution of Civil Engineers Institution of Civil Engineers :: Knowledge :: Library :: Engineering Heritage

and they were able to give me details of gg-uncle's membership and some jobs he was involved in. It was a few years ago now, but they were very helpful.

Comment

Great, thanks I'll have a go first with them then.
      Hail Spode!

Comment

Working...
      X