Grandfather in India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandfather in India

A while ago my dad told me that his dad went to India In 1919. Is there a way of finding out if this is right or not?

Grandad whould only have been 15 unless he lied about his age. He workrd as a labourer/engine driver (traction engine not train engine). I was wondering if he worked on the building of the railways.

His name was Frank Lingham born 1904

Any advice most welcome
    researching
    Lingham (Sussex/Kent)
    Hayes (Kent)
    Gudgeon (Lancashire)

You could try the passenger list database on Findmypast (in the "migration" section), but I can't see him on there. Did he come back to Britain later? In which case you could also try the arrivals on ancestry.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you KiteRunner

He did come back to England but I don't know when.
      researching
      Lingham (Sussex/Kent)
      Hayes (Kent)
      Gudgeon (Lancashire)

Comment

I've found my grandparents coming back to England in the early 1900s. If you just stick vague details into the Ancestry "old search experience" you can select immigration, which will weed out a lot of unwanted hits and may give you a real hit for him. The info. on the passenger lists varies quite a bit. Sometimes the occupation or destination address gives a clue, and having a family travelling together is always a bonus.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks John

I did a search on Ancestry and found a few 'F Lingham' and a couple of mispelt surname that could be possible but I'm unable to view the records as I don't have membership. Don't have the spare cash at the mo but something to bear in mind for future reference.
          researching
          Lingham (Sussex/Kent)
          Hayes (Kent)
          Gudgeon (Lancashire)

Comment

You can buy pay-as-you-go credits on ancestry if you only want to view a few records, like you can on findmypast.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Yes I saw that option could try that and see how far I get. Been thinking of joining Ancestry for a while as theres census records I need to go through too
              researching
              Lingham (Sussex/Kent)
              Hayes (Kent)
              Gudgeon (Lancashire)

Comment

Also if you haven't had a 14-day free trial of ancestry then you should be able to sign up for one, but make sure to cancel in plenty of time.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                X