Marriages at sea, SOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriages at sea, SOS

Does anyone know how marriages at sea were recorded? Think my paternel grandparents married on their way to Australia but have no proof. Where do I start? thanks ...

Hello Anny and Welcome to FTF.

MY OH's gg grandfather was born at sea on the way to Australia in 1853 and his birth is registered in Sydney.

Have you checked the NSW index??

Comment

Anny..............I just re-read your post. As it's fairly recent, it could be registered at whatever state they landed.

Comment

Libby

Thanks so much ... I know they landed in Sydney. But, what is the NSW index? sorry about this silly question but as I now live in France and have only just started out on the long path back in time, am a little lost ...

Comment

There are some marriages at sea on the Findmypast website:

Family Tree, Family History, Find Your Past, UK | Findmypast.com

but their "marriages at sea" database only covers the years 1854-1883.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

NSW indexes:

NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages

(Click where it says "Family History" on the left)
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kite

off to try that right now! in the last few minutes have tracked them down to the SS Themistocles, arrival Sydney in August 1911 ... that may help me ... will let you know

Comment

Thnaks Kite..............sorry Anny, got called away.

No question is silly.......at least I hope not because I'd get the prize..

Comment

No luck for the moment, but did find a photo of the ship ... that's it for tonight ... again thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X