Aol/tt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aol/tt

A while ago I asked about AOL some of you replied on the site that you no longer used it.

I have just changed to Talktalk and I checked with them first about AOL and was told their was no connection. Guess what the home page says TT in Partnership with AOL and it seems so invasive.

I have a thirty day trial and already wonder if I should go back to Virgin but it is so very expensive.
    My windows mail has changed completely. While with Virgin I had an arrangement where I set up to only receive mail into my inbox when I selected it now it just arrives. I always used to view all mail via 'mail web' first and delete anything that I did not wish to download. I get no choice now.
    Last edited by Margaret N; 15-02-09, 16:34.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

It seems to me that Talktallk misled you into taking out their service, so if you have a 30 day trial, there's no need to stay with them. You might want to compare packages using any one of the comparison sites, such as this one. I was with AOL many moons ago, but I didn't like the interface and don't regret giving them the boot.

With regards to email, can you set it to do a manual send/receive instead of automatic?
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

ALL ISPs when you use their automated install discs will change Internet and mail settings to their own ones.
      It is Not just TalkTalk.

TalkTalk and AOL use the same webservers, they are based in the Westcountry, hence some AOL and TT customers losing email when all that snow took out the power

Email and Internet can easily be manually configured
      All you need to do is read the help files in your browser or email application and they tell you how to do it.

The comparison site list TT as one of the top five providers and I for one have never had any trouble with them.
      Installing ISP software then removing (normally not using the correct methods) and then installing another will really 'screw up' your settings if you are not careful.

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Trevor,
        I think that I am up and running OK. I have of course unplugged my Speedtouch software as I now have a router. Will it be safe to uninstall the Speedtouch software?
        As I read it I have a Firewire included with this package so have yet to find it. They also mention a antivirus package cannot remember the name think it begins with 'S' on trial but I have left my Avast on as I do not intend to pay for the add on later.

I am not sure that I am up to changing all my log in accounts again and doing the setup. I think that I will have to stick for now.
        Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Margaret, do you mean a firewall? Rather than Firewire?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The Router should have a firewall as part of its configuration
            I would not bother about the 's' antivirus, as you have one running already

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Trevor, Many thanks for all your help it is appreciated.

Kite, Thank you also for all your help and correcting my mistake yesterday. Yes I do mean Firewall.
              Margaret N

Comment

Working...
              X