Are there Divorce Records..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there Divorce Records..?

One of my Aunts was married several times...i was wondering if there were records kept ?

The simple answer is yes. However, it depends when the divorces happened as to whether you'd be able to get access to the details.
    Tracy

Comment

I am looking at the 1930 to 1950 era....

Comment

I ordered last night from National Archives Divorce proceedings for my Dads Cousin who I called Auntie from 1936 I think I should receive them tonight as I ordered them to arrive digitally and they cost me £8.50 I could have paid more and received them in 4 hours but chose to wait.

I just put her name into the National Archives search engine and they came up, depends how unusual the name is if you have to trawl through them or not.

Good luck

Regards
        Jill

Comment

Thanks very much Jill i will take a look.

Comment

If you search the National Archives site here: Detecting your browser settings

and put J77 in the Department or Series Code box, and the surname you're looking for in the Word or Phrase box it will bring up any relevant divorces for that name. If it's a common surname, include one of the forenames as well.
            Tracy

Comment

The National Archives | Getting started | Family History | Divorce

will tell you where to look for divorces depending on which court heard them and when they were.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                The National Archives | Getting started | Family History | Divorce

will tell you where to look for divorces depending on which court heard them and when they were.
                They charge £25 an hour!

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Links and info in the wiki that might help

Divorce and Annulments - Family Tree Forum
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                  X