Recovering document ... please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering document ... please help

Does anyone pleeeease know how to recover a saved document.

I have just tried (by mistake) to saved a document with the same name as an already saved document. A box did come up and tell me.... and for some unknown reason, I seem to have replace the document with my new page.

I lost about about twelve pages ..... and replaced them with one.

Please, please......I'm using XL

Jean
    Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Which program were you using? Word?

Comment

Yes Mary ....

Comment

Once youv'e saved something with the same name of another file that's it. The original is lost forever I think!
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

that's brightened up my night Wendy ........

Comment

Sorry Jean but the Save option saves a document you've previously saved, writing directly over (and obliterating) the earlier version.
            Wendy

Comment

Arrhhhhhhh!!! .... that'll teach me to be more careful ..... two days work wasted.........

thanks all ...... I think.

jean

Comment

Hi Jean

If your using Vista you might be able to get it from, VSS...Volume Shadow copy Service it might of made a copy of your file. these files can be accessed by right-clicking the file and selecting restore previous versions.

In Word,there is a option (Always create backup copy) it saves files
                with a .wbk

XL works in same way but you must make sure auto save is enabled
                autorecover documents are placed in the MUD folder which is located
                at Documents Microsoft User Data

Hope you have autosaved on or you are out of luck, you will never recover files.

Remember the 3 golden rules of computing BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
                Last edited by Britec; 14-02-09, 21:36.

Comment

Where will I find out if 'autosave' is on Brian ... in XL, although I have a feeling it won't be.

this is the first time this has happened. .. I can't believe it.

I'll back up in the future.

Jean

Comment

you can get AutoSave from the tools menu

Comment

thanks Brian I found it in tools - options - save............ it wasn't ticked but it is now.

I didn't know it was there. .... Everything else is backed up because I always back-up but not until I'm finished what I'm doing. .... too late in this case.

thanks
                      Jean

Comment

Just wanted to say, this is an interesting Microsoft Recovery Program, it was given to me by somebody on the PC Advisor forum.

How To: Recover a Microsoft Word document

It didn't work for me .... but everythings rosy this morning as I remembered that, apart from the last two pages of my document, I'd copied it onto my external harddrive..... wee hee ......... feeling heaps better .... and wiser.

Jean

Comment

Glad that you have at least managed to save a lot of extra work for yourself.
                          Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by Jean and Tonic View Post
                            everythings rosy this morning as I remembered that, apart from the last two pages of my document, I'd copied it onto my external harddrive..... wee hee ......... feeling heaps better .... and wiser.
                            Jean
                            That's my decision made! I am going to stop shilly shallying and order today the external hard drive I've been considering for weeks!

Glad you found most of it Jean!
                            Gillian
                            User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Wendy and Gillian, .... Thanks for the kind words .........go for it Gillian .... they're getting cheaper ..... everything is on mine ... trouble is I don't normally put it on until I'm finished.

I must have had a premonition as to what I was going to do.....lol ....

Jean

Comment

Working...
                              X