1911 search query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 search query

I know you could search for other people in a household by putting a full stop in the first name field, entering the surname and putting a name in the 'other members of household' boxes.

I have not been on the site for a while and now find I cannot do this, it says I have to put 'at least 1 characters that are not wildcards required for name searched' in the first name box.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get round this as I know one name but would like to check the others before buying the transcript or original.
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Lynne, you can go through the alphabet with your wildcard search, i.e. first of all try A* then B* and so on (make sure to tick the wildcard search box).
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The option of putting a full stop in the name field has been withdrawn.
      Elaine

Comment

Oh, wait, now I've read your post properly - you don't have to enter anything in the first name box if you have filled in surname.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks Kate and Elaine, I thought you HAD to enter something in both boxes.
          I will have another go.
          Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

And one valid workaround to look for complete wildcards is *A* then *E* and so on, using each vowel in turn. You'd be most unlucky to have a name with no vowel in it.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Make sure to include "y" in the list of vowels!
              KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                Make sure to include "y" in the list of vowels!
                Do you have Welsh ancestors? :D:D
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X