back to Henry Oakes again !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back to Henry Oakes again !!

Hi..about 4 weeks ago I discovered in St Michaels churchyard in Garston a headstone with Henry Oakes passed away 25th February 1886 aged 64...I don`t have him in my tree....I think someone posted that he was in the 1861 census living with another family...
    I have been again and on the Headstone is William and Margaret Appleton...I`m going to see if I can find out where Henry was born...I presume Neston/Little Neston which is where the Oakes`s came from to Garston....I`m also going to see if Margaret was an Oakes before an Appleton......any help appreciated...cheers...allan;)
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

1881 census
    Household
    Joseph Appleton 37
    Margaret Appleton 30 born Toxteth Park Lancashire
    William Appleton 9
    Joseph W. Appleton 5
    Henry Oakes 59 (father in law) born Oxton Cheshire
    William Bratherton 15

RG11; Piece: 3718; Folio: 121; Page: 9;
    Elaine

Comment

1881:

Gerrads Cottages, Garston, Lancashire

Joseph APPLETON Head M 37 Blacksmith St Helens, Lancashire
      Margaret APPLETON Wife M 30 Blacksmiths Wife Toxteth Park, Lancashire
      William APPLETON Son 9 Scholar Aigburth, Lancashire
      Joseph W. APPLETON Son 5 Scholar Aigburth, Lancashire
      Henry OAKES Father In Law W 59 Gen Labourer Oxton, Cheshire
      William BRATHERTON Boarder U 15 Gen Labourer Aigburth, Lancashire

Marriages Mar 1870
      APPLETON Joseph W. Derby 8b 660
      Butzbach Henry W. Derby 8b 660
      OAKES Margaret W.Derby 8b 660
      Skillin Ellen W. Derby 8b 660

Comment

Household
        Henry Oakes 48 born Pickmere Cheshire
        Mary Oakes 65
        Saml Oakes 24
        Joseph Appleton 26 son in law
        Margaret Appleton 20 daughter

RG10; Piece: 3852; Folio: 71; Page: 17
        Elaine

Comment

Marriages Mar 1870 from freeBMD
          APPLETON Joseph
          OAKES Margaret
          W.Derby 8b 660
          Elaine

Comment

In 1851 Henry Oakes is 29, different place of birth in Cheshire that I can't read! Wife is Mary, aged 45 Two children, Samuel 4 and Margaret 3mths and an uncle Samuel Oakes aged 80 b Bostock, Cheshire.

HO107; Piece: 2188; Folio: 564; Page: 24

Comment

thank you very much girls...you`re stars...thats the first Oakes I`ve come across in Garston that isn`t my family...can I ask Elaine,in the 1871 census ,is that in Garston????...if Henry came from Oxton he could be a relation but to my knowledge Pickmere and Bostock certainly not...allan
              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

You're creepy back to my Oakes' Allan:D if you need any help with the Bostock lot give me a shout. I am away next week hopefully doing some of my research but can have a look in the library when I get back.
                Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

1871 census - I think address is 6 Gerrard Cottages, Garston.
                  Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine ....and alan....Jean,is that Samuel aged 80 in the 1851 census from Bostock in your tree???...so why would Henry come to Garston....my Daniel Oakes came to Garston in 1869 from Neston...only 5 miles from Oxton....so Henry may have been a cousin of Daniels but I don`t have him in my tree....They could well have came to Garston at the same time....I notice we haven`t got Henry Oakes in the 1861 census...was he in Garston then ??.....regards and thankyou all.....allan;)

Comment

All my Oakes were Samuels!! I'm not that far back with them yet but as you know it was a very common name in Cheshire - there were 3 Oakes families living within 1/2 mile of each other and none were related to the other which is why it is taking so long to sort them out.:(
                      Mine were primarily watermen and salt makers. Could your Oakes be a waterman and worked in Liverpool? I have a Finney married into the family who was a salt maker from Liverpool.
                      Bostock is about 3 miles from me. It is covered in the Cheshire database as Davenham
                      Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

thanks Jean...I`ll have a look on CPRDb....allan

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                          I notice we haven`t got Henry Oakes in the 1861 census...was he in Garston then ??.....regards and thankyou all.....allan;)
                          He and his family are at the same address as 1871 and 1881 in 1861! There's

Henry 39 b Great Budworth
                          Mary 56 b Gt Budworth
                          Samuel 15 b Toxteth park
                          Margaret 10 b Toxteth Park

They are indexed as Cokes though!

There are some more Oakes on the same page who may well have the same mis-transcription - James 47 b Northwich a cordwainer and his wife Mary 48 B Ditton Lancs.

Comment

Some information on the area
                            Northwich, History & Life Among the Residents: 1828-1892
                            Jean

Comment

Thanks Merry...the plot thickens...great budworth ??.....
                              thanks Jean.......Nothwich is well known for its salt distribution.....Merry has pointed out that there is a James Oakes b abt 1814 from Northwich in the Garston census of 1861...and he`s not my family either...I was always convinced that ANY Oakes in Garston was my family....apparently not.... allan :o

Comment

Oakes is easy to mistranscribe in census records. It's the O that holds the problems! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X