Ad-Aware found a malicious object??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ad-Aware found a malicious object??

My laptop suddenly went funny and froze so I did a Ad-aware scan it found a few things which I deleted it then came up with a box to say it had detected a malicious object of high severity and I should restart the PC to make sure it had gone
    Any ideas what this would be I was on Ancestry when it happened .Thanks

well without a name of the file its impossible to tell you anything about what it could be :D

Comment

ooh I think it something like Coolweb search Toolbar Klikbar

Comment

Val, you have in the recent past, commented that your new laptop was slowing down, this could be because of Spyware.
        Coolweb search is just such an application.

Spyware is a generic term for programs that are designed to install on your computer and either, record what you type in or act as recorders of your searching habits and divert you to advert sites/create pop-ups.

MANY are installed by the users of PC because they do not understand what all these 'free add-ons' etc are actually doing.

There are many toolbar and browser search enhancing applications that tell you 'I will make your searching easier and I'm Free"
        Well...there is no such thing as a free lunch!

These very often have spyware bundled into them and the Terms and conditions clearly warn that they will also install "third-party" software, but people do not bother to rerad this.

The way that you would have got infected is one of these three ways:
        Piggybacked software installation - Some applications -- particularly peer-to-peer file-sharing clients -- will install spyware as a part of their standard installation procedure
        Drive-by download - This is when a Web site or pop-up window automatically tries to download and install spyware on your machine
        Browser add-ons - These are pieces of software that add enhancements to your Web browser, like a toolbar, animated pal or additional search box
        Masquerading as anti-spyware -- This is one of the cruelest tricks in the book. This type of software convinces you that it's a tool to detect and remove spyware
        Information can be read at

I make a lot of money, because people do not understand what they are doing when they install 'I will help' type applications etc and then ask me to clean all the Spyware and other hijackers off of their PCs.

The real thing to do is:
        Use a site where ALL applications are throughly scanned for Spyware and viruses, the best site is Download.com and also research the name of any application that someone (or a site) reccomends, before you install it.

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

hi Trevor I did have the yahoo and Ancestry Toolbars installed and have since removed them, I also had incredimail which I have also removed but other than that the only things I have installed are
          Ad-aware ,Spybot, AVG, and Zonealarm.
          I never click on pop ups or go to links sent by third parties.
          And funny enough never got these problems on PCs only on the new Laptops.
          Do you think it could be any of the above??? thanks

Comment

Where did you download these programs from?
            was it the actual creator's site or a peer-2-peer download like Kazza or Limewire?

Peere-2-peer is NOT advisable, as 45% of the programs are full of viruses or spyware applcations

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Other methods of infections are these sites that offer free coupons etc
              or sites where you need to install their add-on to use certain content or see images.

In both cases, to make sure that they do not get procecuted, they warn you in the EULA (End User Licence Agreement), that you will also have third party software installed.
              But as I said before, many people just do not read this and tick 'I agree' to let the install proceed.

Researching:

Comment

Top spyware
                Gator This comes as part of the installation package of Date Time Precision Manager and
                Weatherbug, these little applications tell you the local weather or keep your clock up to date.....or so the claim!

CoolWeb Toolbar
                My Search Toolbar
                N-Case
                E-Zula
                Comet Cursor, this offers you a selection of funny cursors to choose from
                Bonzai Buddy
                Jupiter
                Double Click
                Alexz
                Hotbar, this is a free utility that offers you "instantaneously converts your email and browser applications into powerfully personalized instruments of enhanced functionality and visual appeal. The Hotbar Browser Toolbar presents buttons on your Internet Explorer browser that change while you surf to relate to the website you visit. These buttons also provide you instant access to Search, Yellow Pages and more! " it does not warn you it bundles spyware, as that is how it gets its revenue

SaveNow, claims it will help record and catalogue your favourites to assist your browising needs

Every one of these states it has other software in the licence, READ the EULA, before you click that install button.

As I said before, only Download.com has spyware free applications listed in it.
                If an application advertises itself as 'free'. ask "how do they get their money then?"

Researching:

Comment

hi and thanks Trevor I only ever get mine from known sites like FileHippo

Comment

Sometimes they bundle them toolbar item's in with free software and your find a tick to take out to stop it installing. Yahoo use this trick to get you to install there tool bar.
                    Thats how most people get infected with spyware they go on a site...nag box pops up, says something like pc running slow or your computer is infected download this program to clean your pc. Its simple but it works loads of people fall for it and they get infected.

Like Trevor said only install stuff you trust go to places like download.com or better still don't donwnload any exe off the web and you should stay safe.
                    Last edited by Britec; 15-02-09, 12:14.

Comment

I never ever click on anything like that Brian,
                      I did notice that about Yahoo and when you untick the boxes the next page says you have chosen to install the toolbar etc even though I had unticked the boxes so I did not go any further with it.

Comment

Val the point is that as soon as you click on a .exe file it starts tto run a list of commands.
                        You have no idea what these commands are, even clicking on 'no' could be too late if it has started to instal in the background.

I have looked at FileHippo, with all its
                        " makes it easy for you" and "best installs" claims is just the type of inticement that these spyware distributers look for.
                        I am NOT saying it is a risky site, but I have never heard of it before.

It is users like yourself, who see things and react that are the virus and spyware's best customers.
                        I would like to repeat my last comment.
                        research any site before you use it.
                        If FileHippo was so good, it would have 100's of references to it with people commenting on how good it is.
                        the only ones I see are other 'quick fix' claim sites that point to it.
                        makes me question it.

Would you hand over the keys to your house to a stranger just because he smiles and gives you a promise?
                        The same goes with your computer.

Even friends who advise you to install little applications they have come across may have it wrong. Did they check them out first?

Protect your PC/Laptop and lookup what you are installing before you do it, no matter how much your friend advise you.

The worst infected PC is have cleaned had 48 virus/spyware infections and took me three days to clean.
                        He did just what you sound like you do, that was be too trusting.

Researching:

Comment

do you know what ?? I am thinking of uninstalling everything I have installed now and re-installing from that site you gave me, as you've got me worried now .
                          Thanks for your advice

I have just looked at that site and it is where I got the ad-aware programme from I recognise it now ,would you advise me to uninstall AVG Spybot and Zonealarm and reinstall then from that site ??? also which other programes do I need???
                          Thanks Trevor
                          Last edited by Guest; 15-02-09, 21:21.

Comment

Been watching this thead with interest but sorry to see you're having problems Val...

I hope you don't mind Trevor but I have copied your wise words to show my daughter who has young children using a pc.

I have stressed the importance of watching what they do with the pc......so innocent they are.....they think anything on the internet should be ok :(
                            Kathleen

Comment

its okay Kathleen my problems are few now thanks, but I do have a few queries.
                              Never know whats the best anti virus and so forth to have .

Comment

Val........stop

You are still installing, removing and re-installing
                                That is what can cause problems.

Your programs of Zone Alarm, AVG and Spybot ARE ok.
                                Though they are not as 'strong' as more major software that would need to be purchased instead of free.

I'm just trying to reinforce the 'think first' message I have put in many posts.

Rule 1. "If it ain't broke.....don't fix it"
                                All these browser enhancers do nothing to improve how it works, they are just another process that is running in the background and so using up resources.

Rule 2. "Investigate before install"
                                Carryout some research before installing that 'little application' that tells your, or friends tell you are great.
                                SOME are spyware and some are OK

Rule 3.
                                Only download from trusted sites
                                The best site is the actual manufacturers' site, or Download.com

Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Kath nr the Crooked Spire View Post
                                  Been watching this thead with interest but sorry to see you're having problems Val...

I hope you don't mind Trevor but I have copied your wise words to show my daughter who has young children using a pc.

I have stressed the importance of watching what they do with the pc......so innocent they are.....they think anything on the internet should be ok :(
                                  I teach Internet security to 16-19 year olds
                                  They all say "I never knew that", bring in their 'slow' laptops and guess what..... Yes they are infected in some way.

The worst culprets are the Peer 2 Peer sites such as Limewire.
                                  Students think it's safe but it has been proven that 48% of files have been adjusted to include some form of payload.

4 months later I get emails from students "could you look at my laptop, it's gone wrong"
                                  When I check, yes they have been downloading 'cracked' software or music from Peer 2 peer site once again.
                                  They just never learn.....but I make a nice sideline of income ;)

Researching:

Comment

Oh dear - I've used filehippo on more than one occasion. It was recommended by what I thought was a safe site and so I didn't check any further than that!

Having said that, I run regular checks with adaware, spybot and avast! and fortunately, up till now, have had no dangerous intruders (as far as I know!)
                                    Gillian
                                    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I used to use the free Spybot for ages. Windows died in my computer and I had to re-install everything. Got that sorted, then later put Spybot back on and it all slowed.

Have no idea what happened, but OH's IT fellow had to get rid of Spybot as it was somehow running all the time. I thought it did, but this was different.

Anyway, he put a paid version of Super Anti Spyware on and all is good.

I also used Nortons for years till I got a virus. Nortons couldn't seem to clear it so I bought Nod32 after much reading and it cleaned it.

It's odd how some are much better (or different) than others.

Now I buy the products......some are really cheap at around $20 and Nod32 is $45 a year. Much cheaper than the cost of getting the computer fixed.

Comment

oh dear Trevor am I giving that impression ??? I have stopped LOL
                                        The only problem I have is although it says connected to the internet it often stops responding ????
                                        Libby I read that Spybot takes up a lot of room on your PC dont know if thats true or not .

Comment

Working...
                                        X