Buying Family Historian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Family Historian

I have the 30 day free trial of Family Historian and have decided to purchase it. But, which do I go for? Do I buy the boxed retail version or the Download.

Prices on the Retail version vary between the three suppliers - My History, S&N and TWR Computing. The download version costs slightly less than the other three.

Would welcome your comments.

Linda
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

The simplest way would be to licence the version you have.

If however you feel you require expert support to guide you through Family Historian then choose one of the three retailers mentioned.
    I would recommend TWR but they are all about the same.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks for that Guy. When I downloaded the 30 day free I then printed off (all 204 pages) the Get the Best from Family Historian Guide. I prefer having a book in front of me which I find enables me to absorb information somehow better than reading it from the computer screen.

Kind regards - Linda
      Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Linda,

When you got your free trial did you not get a 'key' that you could use to unlock your download for the full version when you paid, also check up on whether or not you get the free upgrade to version 4 which is due out soon.

Family Historian have a very good user forum Family Historian User Group - Home Page where you can be sure to get lots of helpful advice.

Margaret
        Margaret

Comment

Hello Margaret - about the key - no thats what you have to buy - costs about £35 and they e-mail it to you. Without the key at the end of the 30 days you are no longer able to use the software. It is the full version. Plus if you buy the key, when version 4 comes out they will upgrade free of charge. Many thanks for the link to FHUG.

Will post back with developments.

Kind regards

Linda
          Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Simple as that. I purchased the licence. They sent me the key by e-mail within two minutes so I am now the owner of a licence for Family Historian software.

Off to download GedcomCensus

Linda

Safe surfing everyone.
            Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Well done Linda, sounds as if ou're getting well organised, Gedcom Census makes life much easier and Nick has his own question and answer section right down at the bottom of the Family Historian Forum.

Margaret

PS Forgot to say, keep your 'Key' handy as you will need it if for any reason you change your computer or need to reload FH again.

PPS Being nosy here, have you just joined the FH User Group with a number after your name?
              Last edited by Rusty; 14-02-09, 08:07.
              Margaret

Comment

Good Morning Margaret,

I have joined FHUG but same name as here Linda from Murton. Lots and lots of useful information all over the place. Am currently making a start with Gedcom Census. Head is buzzing, nearly ready for a coffee.

Kind regards

Linda

Safe surfing
                Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Hope you enjoy using FH, Linda. The User Group is excellent. I specially like the 'walk through' descriptions of how to do things which Jane has put up.

Remember though - you can use the program as simply or as 'in depth' as you like. At first I found it quite daunting but now I just use it how I want, and when I get to need another feature I look into learning about it. It was too much all at once for me!

When you get to the point of thinking 'I wonder if it does .....?' The answer is almost always 'Yes'

Anne

Comment

Hello Anne, thank you for your comments. It does seem rather a lot, but I shall enjoy the learning curve.

By the by, Cumberland was my mam's home county before she married dad and came to Co. Durham. Really enjoy researching her Dad's name "Brown". lol

Safe surfing

Linda
                    Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Linda
                      Hope you enjoy using it as much as I do I have used FH since version 2.1.6.
                      I love the ability to use queries when I am trying to see where I have gaps.
                      Really looking forward to FH4.

Comment

Hello Hilary,

Family Historian is an exceptionally impressive piece of software. Thanks to the tutorials on this forum I am getting my head around it. I am so impressed with the depth of the software.

Its made me reorganise my census data ( have a fair few downloads which are now renamed and put into years). Using the Ged census link, brilliant.

I have not got as far as queries. But did discover the "relationship" to root on the records page - magic. Now know how to refer to my cousins daughter.

This new software will keep me entertained for months.

As you say, cant wait for version 4.

Can not recommend Family Historian too highly. Brilliant bit of kit (to use the modern "speak")

Linda
                        Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Working...
                        X