having trouble with upload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having trouble with upload

I am a new member. In trying to upload my gedcom file, I logged in, but when uploading I get a message that says "cannot validate user." I have logged in a number of times with the same result. Can someone assist me please. PS. I have already solved one mystery with a data search.
    Thanks

Not sure what the problem can be. I wonder if you tried to upload your gedcom before we had fully activated your account.

Can I ask you to have another try and tell me how far you get and the exact error message that appears.
    Elaine

Comment

.. and forgot to say "Welcome to FTF"
      Elaine

Comment

Elaine, thanks for your prompt reply. When I go the upload page, my user log in is empty, so I re enter user name and password. It acknowledges My user name and returns me to upload page. I browse and select file and upload. It then says " we could not validate your user".

Thanks

Comment

OK - you must be logged in at the moment as you are able to post on the forum - so there is no need to try to log in again.

Click on the word GEDCOM in the blue navigation bar and select SEARCH OR UPLOAD TO OUR NAMES DATABASE

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on BROWSE.
          Find the gedcom file on your computer and double click on it. The file name and path will then be shown in the box. Click UPLOAD FILE.

Have a go and see what happens!
          Elaine

Comment

I have tried again with the same result. The file does have the .ged extension on it. and I have followed the instructions for "other gedcom" and with ansi. The original file was created as .paf file. Could it be because I only registered as a new member yesterday?

Thanks

Comment

Your date of registration should not matter.

Just to confirm, when you created the file from PAF did you select the option to create it as a version 5.5 file with character set as ANSI.

I wonder if it might be worthwhile trying to create a new gedcom file, just in case there is some sort of error in your previous one?
              Elaine

Comment

Looks like you have been successful!
                Elaine

Comment

Working...
                X