The Cutty Sark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cutty Sark

Hi can you help please ? I am googled out from looking for the Crew listings of the Cutty Sark. Does anyone know if there is a site with the crew list on ??
    Sheila
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

What sort of date?

The National Maritime Museum (at Greenwich) holds the Cutty Sark’s official logs for the years 1870-1895 and crew lists for 1870-1874.

Comment

Hi Merry, Family myth time 1870's is all I know, and his name all the family were sailors or customs men
      Sheila

Comment

There's a book called "The Crews of the Cutty Sark":

The Crews of the Cutty Sark
        By S. F. Bailey, Cutty Sark Society (London, England)
        Published by The Cutty Sark Society, 1989
        ISBN 095145790X, 9780951457900
        116 pages

In the UK it would probably be possible to borrow a copy of this book via a local library for a small fee, but I don't know about in other places!

Comment

There is an international inter-library lending scheme, so it might be possible to borrow it through an Australian library.

Comment

Someone on Rootsweb has offered to do a look up from the book. Whether they are still around I don't know as the message is quite old.

RootsWeb: GENANZ-L Cutty Sark Crew List
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Clutching at straws a bit. I wonder if the maritime museums in Sydney or Melbourne might be able to help.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you Merry I have ordered the book from Amazon in London, it is on back order the name of the Author gave it as a must have ,as that is the maiden name of the maiden name of my Aunt

Uncle John I have pm'd you Thanks

Thank you again
                Sheila

Comment

Just for reference, I went to the NMM today (anniversary treat day out). The library has restricted opening hours at the mo. owing to a big building scheme. And there was no-one around to ask about info. that might be online (the e-library is also shut on Saturdays). I don't know how they would respond to email enquiries.

Comment

Well, Uncle John just for reference, lol, I also was up there today, I didn't see you, did you see me? lol, small World ah! I am surprised you never found anyone to ask, they are usually very good at that sort of thing in there.....must have been lunch time lol....busy today in Greenwich, the sun bought everyone out, I think. Did you see the plans for the building extentions etc that they are doing, there are on show just outside the Library, it is just going to be even more awesome when it is finished and even more brillant at night......hope you had a lovely time in Greenwich anyway.....Lilly;)

Comment

Yes we saw the model, and were a bit peeved that it didn't show what the new bit was!
                      My great-grandparents lived in that area (1901 Westcombe Park Road, 1911 Coleraine Road). They died long before I was born.

Comment

Yea it does!!! lol, its all at the front of the actually model on the table, they are loads of posters on the wall behind where you were standing, showing pics and all about the rich rich man that had donated loads of bucks towards the costs......lol, its all on display just outside the Library, is that where you were!...;) Westcombe park isn't to far for there, is it, did you go and have a look?....Lilly....

Comment

Hello Sheila,
                          Just wondering if you could do a look up for me please? I have been told that a "Purcell" was a crew member aboard "Cutty Sark" for a return trip to London and back. I don't have the years all I have is his last name. Could you verify that for me? Thanks in advance.

Kerry

Comment

Working...
                          X