Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the BARNSLEY family in 1841 & 1861?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the BARNSLEY family in 1841 & 1861?

In the post a couple of days ago, I received the wedding cert of James STREET to Ruth BARNSLEY, who married 9th April 1849 in Dudley, Worcestershire. Ruth's father is given as Josiah BARNSLEY, profession a nailor.

I have found him in 1851 - HO107; Piece: 2036; Folio: 648; Page: 26, which shows him as aged 47, born in Kingswinford, Staffordshire, along with wife Hannah, and children Thomas, Edward, Sarah, Charlotte, Alexander & Josiah.

I have scoured 1841 census in the hope of finding Ruth with her parents. She was aged 20 when she married giving a birth year of c1829. In the census after her marriage, she is enumerated as being born in Kingswinford, as are her siblings.

Can anybody find the family in either census? Appreciate any help that can be given as I'm going cross-eyed :(

I've also treid to find Josiah and family in 1861, and drawn a blank there as well
    Pauline
    xx
    OPC Lanlivery, Lanivet & Newquay
    www.mumsiep.tribalpages.com

The family's 1851 neighbours seem to be in District 32 of Kingswinford in 1841, but there's no obvious trace there of Josiah and family.

Someone with determination might spot a family with the right components but misnamed, I suppose.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 12-02-09, 21:33.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for looking Christine. At least it's not just be missing the obvious which quite often happens when I can't find people in the census returns.
      Pauline
      xx

Comment

I found Thomas Barnsley on 1861: RG9/2074 married to Emma with children Josiah and Espher? in Kingswinford... will keep looking
        Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

I think I've found them on 1861... under the name Nocks. RG9/2074 still in Kingswinford
          Josiah B 51 Horse Nail maker
          Fanny 55
          Edward 26 Pedlar of Iron
          Sarah 20 Nailor
          Alexander 17 Pedlar of Iron
          Josiah 15 Pedlar of Iron

No idea why the name change!
          Last edited by JulesSmith; 13-02-09, 09:27.
          Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

It might be worth looking at Josiah Dunn on 1841 census bn 1801. Still in Kingswinford.
            Josiah Dunn 40
            Ann Dunn 40
            Sarah Dunn 15
            Charles Dunn 14
            Mary Dunn 12
            Edward Dunn 9
            Sophia Dunn 7
            Fanny Dunn 4
            Emma Dunn 2
            Jules

Comment

Hi Jules,

That family in 1861 certainly look like the right family. Interesting is the fact that when daughter Ruth married, one of the witnesses was Mary Ann Barnsley NOCK!

I will look more closely at that.

Thanks for your efforts.
              Pauline
              xx

Comment

Originally posted by POSITIVE Pauline View Post
                That family in 1861 certainly look like the right family. Interesting is the fact that when daughter Ruth married, one of the witnesses was Mary Ann Barnsley NOCK!
                NOCK and the door shall be opened, hopefully. :D:D
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X