Death Cert.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Cert.

Hi I have a death cert. for my grandfather who died in hospital 1947 in Norwich he is not burried in the Norwich cemetary any ideas how to find out where he could be please.

Joan

Hi Joan & welcome to FTF

Could he have been cremated? If you contact the local crematoriam they should have a record if that's the case.

Did his family live in Norwich? It is possible he was buried in another district or cremated elsewhere. All you can do is ring around different cemeteries to find out.

Joanie

Comment

Does the cert give a home address, as distinct from the address where he died - the hospital? He is likely to be buried locally to home, where possible?

Christine

PS - Just noticed your join-date: Welcome!
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

He could not have been cremated as that did not start untill 1948.
        He died in a Hospital close to his home in Nowich. If I go to Norfolk Records Office do you think that they would have the info:

Joan

Comment

I think you'll find that cremations have been legal & allowed since the 1880's :

Cremation Society of G.B. - History of the Society

That site is very interesting. I would ring around & check, or try to contact older members of the family that may have an idea of what his last wishes were. Was there a will? Sometimes people specify in a will what they want to happen to them after they have died.

Joanie

Comment

Hi unfortunately there is no one left to ask.

Comment

Norfolk Records Office will have the parish burial registers. You may find details of his funeral even if he was buried (or cremated!) elsewhere.

My Norfolk gt grandfather died in North London but his body was brought back to be buried in Limpenhoe with his wife. I couldn't understand why I couldn't find his death registered in Norfolk!!
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There are two cemeteries, the Earlham Road and the Rosary Road. Plus two crematoriums that I know of, Earlham and St Faiths (on the outskirts).

Records of burials are kept at the Norfolk Record Office at County Hall, plus a few records are kept in the Heritage Centre in the Forum Library.

I would give them a ring and check what they have before paying a visit.
                Bren

Looking for
                WIDDOWS (Norfolk, Yorkshire, Australia)
                SOUTHGATE, TURNER, EBBAGE (All Norfolk)
                COXHEAD (Canada)
                WADE (USA)

Comment

It's possible he wanted burying at a favourite place ie where he met his wife, was born, served during WW1/2.

He may also have been a member of a church but not the local one/denomination - at my church there are loads of people that should belong to another parish but prefer our church.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Have you looked at NAOMI - an online site of (mainly) Norfolk memorials? Norfolk FHS have published MIs for the Rosary.

One of my ancestors died in Norwich Hospital, but was buried in Brinton, which is miles away.
                    Phoenix - with charred feathers
                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks a lot I will try Naomi.

Joan

Comment

Working...
                      X