Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnie = Emily?

Evening all,
    Just wondering if anyone has come across Minnie being a short form of Emily?
    Thanks,
    Craig

No, it isn't an official alternative, but there is absolutely no accounting for family pet names!

OC

Comment

I suspect that Minnie is intended to be a diminutive of names such as Philomena (or any of the -mina names), but it has ended up as a name in its own right. I've recently seen it linked with Miriam.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

As OC said.............there's no accounting for pet names.

My Aunty Minnies were....Judith and Patricia.....lol

But then my Uncle Pat was Arthur and Uncle Mick was William...........lol

Comment

Minnie was usually short for Mary, I think. But also often used as a name in its own right.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

All the Minnies in my family were baptised as such. Could it be that your Emily was actually called Millie?

Peter

Comment

I'm also thinking that a sibling may have pronounced Emily as "Eminnie" and the name stuck!

(My brother calls me Cissie, which is nothing like my real name, but was all he could manage for "sister" when he was a tot!)

OC

Comment

We have Minnie, not short for anything, and Minnie short for Jemima. There's no rhyme or reason to pet names.

OC, my great aunt was also called Cissy by her five brothers, her registered name was Rebecca.
                Diane
                Sydney Australia
                Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

My Auny Cis was Deborah.........

I've got a bunch of strange ones....lol

Comment

my mums sister was Gladys...all my mums side of the family called her aunty Gladys...and all her husbands side of the family called her Aunt Minnie...don`t ask me why..... to this day when she comes up in conversation my cousin Carmel will talk about our `aunt Minnie` whilst I say my `aunty Gladys....strange but a fact..........Allan:D
                    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

my uncle arthur as he was known was actually born fred!
                      **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

What odd family names we do have
                        One of my grandfather's sisters was called Cecil (maybe they wanted another boy or just misspelt it) but known as Lil & one of my uncles is actually Arthur, although known as Danny, as are his 5 brothers - confusing or what
                        My g x 5 grandfather was Christopher known as Kester - maybe a common shortening in those days in Lincolnshire.
                        Makes for interesting investigations though
                        Expat in Oz
                        I wish I was not so confused:conf:

Comment

Expat

Ooooh, Kester is a Lancashire abbreviation/pet name of Christopher, as is Kes. I have a family full of them. I did wonder if it was something to do with the old fashioned way of writing "Christopher" in parish regs, which was Xofer, but maybe not!

OC

Comment

Both my Minnies were born Minnie. One was always known by my gran as Aunt Min and my gran never knew what it was short for until I found out on the 1911 census.
                            Hail Spode!

Comment

Working...
                            X