X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth registration c1882

Help,
    Susan Snow died in the county asylum Winwick in 1905,her age given as 22,
    in 1891 she is in Buxton described as niece,age 8 born Patricroft,Lancashire,so her birth about 1882/3.
    Can I find her birth ? NO
    Is it driving me mad (madder) YES
    Have I looked on slooooooooooooow Ancestry for hours ? YES
    Please,some kind,generous,thoughtful,helpful,considerate person can you find her for me.

cybergran

There is a birth of Hannah Snow in 1882, in Barton on Irwell, which covers Patricroft. (Lancsbmd)

(Susannah/Susan is often a pet name for Hannah)

OC

Comment

Another possibility is that her name wasn't Snow when she was born! In 1901 I think the entry says she was born in Prestwich.

Comment

I was just going to ask if you have seen her in 1901 as S Snow. This is the reference - RG13; Piece: 3779; Folio: 136; Page: 6
        I think it says born Prestwich too. She is in Prestwich County Asylum Lancashire and it says that she is a dressmaker.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thank you all for your input.
          OC,I didnt know of Hannah/Susan pet name,,,,,,,,mmmmm will investigate.
          Have seen her in 1901 thanks,had forgotten about Prestwich,
          Her aunt/uncle in 1891 are Thomas/Elizabeth Capstick,Thomas is a plumber and in 1881
          is at 75,oxford st,Stretford,Lancashire,along with James and Mary A Snow,could this be susans parents ?
          I feel a headache coming on,but then again no one said it was going to be easy.
          Is it possible to find her grave ?where would I start ?
          Regards
          Cybergran

Comment

Genealogy Search

Burials for a few Manchester cemeteries can be found here. You have to buy credits to see full details
            PAT

Comment

cybergran

The IGI shows baptism records for two children to James and Mary Ann Snow - Mary Jane Cupstick(sic) Snow born 1879, baptised Manchester 1892 and Sussanah (Sic) Snow born 1882 and also baptised in 1892. Going back to look for a marriage

Di
              Last edited by dicole; 12-02-09, 21:28.
              Diane
              Sydney Australia
              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

freebmd - Mar 1879 CHorlton 8c 715

SNOW James
                CAPSTICK MAry Ann

Births for Mary Jane in 1879 and Alice Amy in 1882.

Could Susannah have been registered as Alice Amy and baptised as Sussanah ?????

We have one child registered as Sarah Jessie, but always known as Clara Dora....

Di
                Diane
                Sydney Australia

Comment

Sorry didn't read the thread properly I thought she died in Prestwich:o
                  PAT

Comment

Hi Diane,
                    On 1881 census in the Capstick household there is a Mary J Snow age 1,
                    Can't understand the Alice Amy/Sussanah,how could I prove it was "our" Susan.?
                    In 1891 she is not down as visitor to aunt/uncle in Buxton,are they caring for her and call her Susan ?
                    I shall look at IGI batch numbers and find the baptism,thank you for that.
                    Pat, many thanks for the link,I am hoping the asylum had its own graveyard and records
                    survive,
                    OK,I will wake up soon,but it was a lovely dream

Comment

Perhaps there was more than one Capstick/Snow marriage? Perhaps Alice Amy and Susannah were twins? Or maybe they were cousins, born the same year!

It's odd that I can find a Hannah, but not an Alice Amy on Lancsbmd. And the Hannah I can find, was born in the right reg district for a Patricroft birth.

I think you might need to take the Capstick family back a couple of censuses to see how many children/daughters they have.

OC

Comment

Just had a look at IGI and Sussanah Snow born 3rd April 1882, so why doesnt she pop up on Free BMD.?

Comment

OC,
                          Will do as you suggest,well I will as soon as Ancestry will load something other than a white page.
                          Many thanks everyone,much appreciated.

Comment

Cybergran

those two entries on the IGI are submitted records, I'm afraid, even though they have a batch number prefixed by a "C".

Unfortunately, there are a few "C" batches on the IGI which aren't actually extracted records. There is no source given either, so the information could be made up, although the definite dates given seem to make fact more likely.

Pity they didn't put the place of baptism - Manchester's a big place.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                              freebmd - Mar 1879 CHorlton 8c 715

SNOW James
                              CAPSTICK MAry Ann

Births for Mary Jane in 1879 and Alice Amy in 1882.

Could Susannah have been registered as Alice Amy and baptised as Sussanah ?????

We have one child registered as Sarah Jessie, but always known as Clara Dora....

Di
                              The marriage shows up on Lancs BMD Lancashire Births Marriages & Deaths as being at Manchester, Hulme, Holy Trinity.

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Still not able to use Ancestry for some strange reason so had a look on FreeBMD,Mary J
                                born 1879,Alice Amy b 1882 and Hannah all appear but no Susan/sussanah,should I send for 2 birth certs.Alice Amy and Hannah ,
                                I'm leaning towards Hannah because of the born Patricroft on 1891 census,and the pet name angle.I will specify that I will accept the cert if the parents are James and mary Ann.
                                The local offices are usually quicker IMO,(posted to Warrington Monday,death cert arrived today)
                                Regards to all ,you are a great forum.
                                Cybergran

Comment

Cybergran

I wouldn't specify any parents names for Hannah, as you don't ACTUALLY know who her parents are, yet!

OC

Comment

I tried to check for the origin of the IGI entries but did not have time for a thorough check, so sorry if its submitted and possibly not accurate. I looked up the transcribed film of Holy Trinity (film no 2113195) and the names Mary Jane and Susanah do not show up, although there are other Snows. A look at both films might be worth some extra info - especially as they were not infants when apparently baptised.

Also ask the local RO if the birth registration did not make it to the GRO, although its not in the Lancsbmd ?? Recently I found the death of ggf Christopher Eccles was in 1927 but is not in the GRO indexes, but the Manchester RO gave me their reference for this death reg. Found it by his burial record on the Manchester City site.

Diane
                                    Diane
                                    Sydney Australia

Comment

I agree with Dicole about the registration not having made it to the GRO - I have seven certiicates issued by various local Lancashire Register Offices and none of them appear in the GRO indexes. (Well, one does, but has been so badly mistranscribed into the index that I would never have found it)

One of the certs I have which does not appear at the GRO, is for a death in Patricroft!

OC

Comment

How kind every one is,
                                        E-mailed Salford registry office ( for patricroft ) re Susans birth,they replied within the hour,no luck sad to say, they have looked 1882/3/4 and no trace of our sad Susan,

Comment

Working...
                                        X