Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garner/Morris Family [ South Texas ]

Greetings,

I'm a newbie, starting at the absolute beginning. So, pls forgive me for any wrongs that I might ask...

I'm looking for information regarding the Garner family line and I have very limited information.

Father - Frank William Garner [ Deceased / On/About May 1982 ]
    Mother - Still alive
    Siblings - Myself and my sister

The only information on my father that I have is that he was born somewhere in Dallas, his father was a police chief and/or high ranking police officer (from what I could tell a somewhat wealthy family (as compared to my own)).

My Mum is coming over next weekend so I'll be pestering her for her family line (Morris / Beeville area is all I know) but its like pulling teeth! ;)

Anyway, I am very interested in learning about the family line and history and right now I'm just hodge-podge collecting pieces that fit the mold, which I know is wrong. So, I'm compiling two systems one is my make it fit the mold one and my other system will be the proper citations, footnotes and 100% confirmations w/ documentation. But for now, its just fun.

I am seeking information on books and/or free resources for beginners. If you have any suggestions on the family line and/or where to go pls e-mail - thomas.roy.garner@gmail.com and/or here. Thank you very much for your assistance.

v/r
    Tom Garner
    Aransas Pass, Texas
    Last edited by TRGarner; 22-02-09, 22:11.

The first thing that will help you, is your parents marriage certificate (if there is one) as it should contain at least the name of his father.

Look at our Wiki page about Texas for some useful links - Texas - Family Tree Forum

There are also links on this site Texas Genealogy for the whole of Texas. It does say they are all free, so it would be another good starting point for you.

Do you know when your father was born? If it was before 1930, he will appear on the US censuses. I don't think these can be access free, other than a couple, but you might still be able to find out some information without viewing the details.

Definitely get as much info out of your mum as you can, plus any other relatives who might be able to help you. You never know what may come out of a question and answer session with them.
    Tracy

Comment

hello tom and a warm welcome brenda xxx

Comment

Thanks for the help, didn't know 'bout the marriage certificate, I'll have to dabble in to that. Over the last couple of days I believe that I came up w/ his dob and ssn, based on the year of his death and my memory I believe it was:

18 Dec 1932 ( birth )
        May 1982 ( Death )
        and I found his SSN.

My mum is visiting and when she gets here, I'll ask her if this jives w/ her, I looked up the name in the SSN Death Index but we had always identified him as Frank William Garner and in the Death Index it was listed just as Frank Garner AND the year was May 1982... and that jives w/ my memory. I know its not concrete but it is a start...

Thanks for the Texas Genealogy site, I've visited a "few" of them and they are all circular, but its a start...

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the assistance... I'm also playing around on the LDS Homepage for the Ancestrial File Numbers for some of the other information that I have on some of my wife's relatives from on/about 1300's... thanks!

Comment

Brenda...

Thanks!!!

Comment

Hello Tom and welcome to the forum.

You may want to look here.

FamilySearch Record Search

Its a relatively new site by the LDS and is being added to all the time. I believe Frank's death is on there and you may find other things that are useful as a lot of the collections are American.

Its worth checking back on it from time to time to see what else has been added
            Jackie

Comment

Tom, could you please confirm that your aunt and uncle who you mentioned in your first post are no longer living, as our forum rules don't allow the posting of information about living people without their consent.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Sorry 'bout the forum rules violation, I went an edited my original post so I think I'm in compliance. I don't visit here often, just when the email his my account... so sorry.

Comment

tom, you definently need to get all the birth, death, and marriage certificates of your immediate family. ie- yourself and parents.

you should ask anything and everything about the family when you interview family members. 'what was aunt sally's maiden name?' 'when was grandad born?'

look at old photo's. ask whose in them, where it was taken and who it belonged to.

these will all help jog family memories and help with certificates.

sorry if you know these things already.

Comment

Working...
                  X