Is there a clue in the collar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a clue in the collar?

Can anybody help me date this photo of my Great Uncle Jack (1896 - 1922) please?

He was an elementary school teacher from Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire. We don't know where he taught.

Yet this postcard has on the back J.B. Bullen, Grimsby. We are puzzled!
    Attached Files

The lad in this photograph is wearing an Eton collar, a bane to all school boys who had to wear one. It was never worn by adults as on leaving senior school they would have gone straight into work and would have dressed accordingly.

don.

Comment

Now I'm more confused... could this be a mock-up? What would he have worn as a proper teacher back then?

On the 1911 census at the age of 14 he is listed as "student". He fought in WW1 with the Royal Engineers and got badly gassed. Family story is that he went back to teaching.

My cousin (who is au fait with military stuff) says his medal card indicates he did not begin fighting till 1.1.1916 at the earliest as he has no 1914 or 1915 stars.

Given that he was born 1896, what age does he seem to be in this photo?
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 12-02-09, 20:53.

Comment

I would think the photo would be about 1909 or 10 as he looks about 13 or 14, also that it was a studio photo, was Mr Bullen the photographer?

Comment

He would have more than likely have worn a lounge suit which was common for the period, and, dependent on which establishment that he was employed at he may have worn a board and gown. As for his age in this photograph, I am not that ok on putting ages to people in real life let alone in photograph's but I would suggest that he was roughly 14-15-16 years old when this study was taken. Also do not forget that in some schools they had "pupil-teachers" whereby the older children took on a role of helping the teacher within the class.

don

Comment

I haven't traced the dates for the photographer yet. I've emailed someone from a link in the Wiki.

1911 census has Joseph Bullen, occ. photographer in Grimsby but he's not there in 1901. There's also no middle initial B on the 1911 census.

Jack was a teacher before he went off to fight and is given as "elementary school teacher" on his 1922 death certificate. Family story also has it that he was a very well respected man in the community. He also was engaged to be married but nobody knows the lady's name. Jack was at the family home in Burslem, Stoke on Trent in 1911 and listed as "student". He died in the same house in 1922.

If this pic shows him c. 14 years old, he could well have been a pupil teacher but why on earth would he have been having his photo taken in Grimsby, Lincolnshire?
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 12-02-09, 20:54.

Comment

Did some photographers travel about? My grandfather and his siblings and parents always seem to have their photos taken by Frys of Brighton (1880's - after 1901 from memory), but they lived in Somerset and I have lots of details of places they visited, none of which are in Sussex!

Comment

I'd forgotten about pupil teachers, now that makes great sense.

Comment

If it's any help, 2 of these collars look about the same. The boy on the left was born in 1906.

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I've got some details of the photographer now - was thrown off the scent as my cousin said his intials were JB but they were JS.

Joseph Samuel Bullen born c.1872 in Skibbereen, Co. Cork, Ireland. Had been a photographer since at least 1901 as he's on the 1901 census, single and lodging in Rotherham, Yorkshire. He had been in Grimsby since at least 1907 when he married Mabel Elizabeth Kitchen. Mabel died in 1910. Joseph remarried in 1916 to Winifred Praed Catley.

He had a studio in Grimsby and one in Louth, also Lincolnshire. No evidence found so far to say he travelled around the country. There are postcards of his for sale on the net, and he was still in business at the end of WW1.

Still can't figure out though, what Gt. Uncle Jack was doing in Lincolnshire at the age of c.14. He was at home in Burslem, Staffs. on census night 1911.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                      If it's any help, 2 of these collars look about the same. The boy on the left was born in 1906.
                      Nice pic, Chrissie .... could do with a bit of a clean and twiddle ;)

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I know Rachel - I've got dozens that could do with a bit of a clean and twiddle - feel free :D:D;) That's my father on the left by the way

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                          I know Rachel - I've got dozens that could do with a bit of a clean and twiddle - feel free :D:D;)
                          CERTAINLY NOT !!!!!! :(

This is a good one for you to do
                          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Comment

grimsby is a small fishing town.i live 20 mins from stoke,have you an address if you have i can try and get a picture for you brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                              X