Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emma Mann 1842 Aston B'ham

I am hoping that someone will be able to throw some light on this family

I have the Birth Cert for Emma Mann born 1842 in Aston B'Ham, it shows her father as Robert Mann (labourer) and her mother as Sarah Peers.

I have the marriage cert for Robert Mann and Sarah Peers April 1841. Robert is a batchelor and Sarah is a widow. Robert Mann is shown as a Brickmaker and his father is Robert Mann (occ brickmaker).

Sarah's father is Thomas Hadley (occ gun barrel welder)

Sarah married Thomas Peers in 1832 and he died in 1840.

I have not been able to find any trace of them on the 1851 or 1861 census- BUT -

On the 1851 census there is a family by the name of Green living in Birmingham

Robert Green 1820
    Sarah Green 1813
    Emma Green 1842
    Thomas Green 1844
    William Green 1846
    Harriett Green 1848
    plus

Joseph Peerrs 1832
    Mary Ann Peerrs 1835
    Rosanna Peerrs 1840
    all three as step children.

and Roberts occupation is brickmaker.

On the 1841 this family also shows but Joseph, Mary and Rosanna have the surname Green.

On the 1881 census Emma is married to Thomas Noakes and lodging with them is a Thomas Green born Birmingham with his 3 children.

Could this be her brother?

Could the Green family and the Mann family be one and the same?

Any ideas on how to sort this out would be appreciated

Jane

There is a Sarah Mann died in Aston in 1845. No Robert deaths between 41 and 51 (on freeBMD).

I have had a search on Ancestry using surname Munn, Moon, Maun. but NBG so far.
    Rose

Comment

Thanks for looking - there seems to be quite a lot of similarities between the two families - or am I clutching at straws?

Comment

No I don't. I think it looks like Emma & Co are down as Green, perhaps in error or misreading of Mann on the original household sheet.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Will have to try and find Robert before 1841, not too much luck so far but he must be there somewhere.

Comment

I don't think you've told us how old Robert was when he married Sarah in 1841?

This is from the LDS site. He is a stonemason (brickmaker > stonemason?)

12. Robert MANN - 1880 United States Census / Iowa
            Self Gender: Male Birth: <1824> ENG

YOu'd need to have worldwide subs to look at full details. I've only got UK.

Then there's this

Christening: 11 MAR 1818 Ettington, Warwick, England
            Death:
            Burial:
            ------
            Parents:
            Father: ROBERT MANN Family
            Mother: JANE

Don't know if any of this is any use.
            Rose

Comment

On their marriage cert all it says is 'full age', not sure where he was born either.

There is another Robert Mann who married Sarah Newey also in Warwickshire.

They moved from the Aston area of Birmingham to Islington where Emma Mann married Thomas Noakes. Not sure when they moved but if the Mann and Green family are the same, they moved between 1851 and 1861.

Comment

Originally posted by jane View Post
                On their marriage cert all it says is 'full age', not sure where he was born either.
                :(I've got some like that. Very annoying lol
                Rose

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to look at this, I think it may be something that I will never find the answer too! Will have to keep trying and hoping

Comment

Working...
                  X