'Removed by Faculty' ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Removed by Faculty' ?

Trawling the Hampstead Parish registers I found this added to a burial entry in 1830.....Not one of mine but I was intrigued!

Margaret Husband Abode St Marylebone age 41 buried 18 September 1830
    Removed by Faculty.

Next entry
    Henry Husband St Pancras 12 months buried 18 September 1830.
    No additional information added

I do not know whether the two entries are related.

The entry 'Removed by Faculty' is in the same hand as the burial entry and there is no indication as to when it was added.

Am I right in thinking this means she was exhumed? Either for reburial elsewhere or because it turned out to be a suspicious death that underwent further investigation

There is no record of a reburial.

Many thanks
    Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Ooh how interesting, unless it was a disused burial ground?

Comment

Barbara

Thanks for the reply.

Burials carried on there until at least 1842...The last year I have got to so far.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Chris, you can 'Google' Removed by Faculty and it says something about interrment of cremated remains.
        Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Thanks Stella

I had googled, honest, and that article relates to rules regarding headstones, burial and cremation remains...Not about actual bodies :D

Comment

A "Faculty" is the permission from the church authorities required by a church to carry out any work to the fabric of the church or churchyard (A bit like planning permission) so it does sound like they got permission from the bishop or archdeacon to exhume her body and rebury elsewhere. Don't think it can be to do with cremated remains in this case Stella as cremation didn't come in until much later in the century.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

There is an entry in a book here about a baronet who was buried and that the bodies of his daughters who were buried elsewhere were removed by legal faculty to "this vault"

Ecclesiastical Antiquities in Devon ... - Google Book Search

I suspect that on the day Henry Husband was buried, his wife's bodied was exhumed and reburied with him
              Jackie

Comment

It seems a Faculty was an order, and applied to removing corpses or headstones. I'm aware that some graveyards had to be relocated in urban areas, due to the coming of the railways, or other construction work/change of purpose. Your date a bit early for that - and in any case, they'd all be removed - but just to illustrate that it might not always be a legal matter like an exhumation on a suspected murder victim, it might be something pragmatic. When I just fed it into the search engine for 19thC newspapers, found referenced to bodies being removed 'with or without faculty'.
                Last edited by Penelope; 12-02-09, 16:04.

Comment

Thank you Jackie and Penelope

Exhumation it is then....With the authority of whoever was entitled to give it!

Thanks to everyone for your replies

Comment

Working...
                  X