Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with ordering a will please

Sorry, I seem to be asking a lot of questions today :o

Thomas Hadrill's death was registered Lambeth Q1 1931.

I don't have his death certificate but I have a copy of a notice placed by his administrator in The London Gazette in May 1934 giving a cut-off date of July 31st 1934 for a claim to be made by his brother William Hadrill or his representatives.

This will be my first will application to a Probate Office. I've read all the guidance in our wiki and on the HCMS site but am left with some queries:

1. Is an address entry for Thomas compulsory? (ie do I need to send for the death cert first)

If not, then

2. I presumably need to cover 1930 up to 1934 so is the four year search inclusive of, or in addition to, the year of death? (ie £5.00 or £8.00)
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Gillian, would you like me to look it up for you in the National Probate Calendar? I should be able to nip in this afternoon and get the details for you.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh Kate - yes please!!!

But do you mean you would have to make a special trip or are you going anyway?
      Gillian

Comment

I was going into town anyway, and it's on my way in.
        KiteRunner

Comment

That would be brilliant then Kate! Thank you.

I've checked the other years and the Thomas above is the only one with that spelling from 1930 to 1935. Do you need any other details? I think I have his 1911 address.
          Gillian

Comment

D'oh - if only I hadn't been in a hurry to leave the house, I would have read your post properly! That word "administrator" is a very strong clue that he didn't leave a will, and the entry confirms it:

HADRILL Thomas of 18 Crozier-street Lambeth Palace-road Surrey died 9 February 1931 at Lambeth Hospital Surrey. Administration London 24 April to Joseph Hadrill retired hammerman. Effects £574 17s 8d.

You could order the letter of administration, but it would cost you £5 and probably not tell you more than the above, except it would probably tell you how Joseph was related to him, but I bet you know that already.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Kate - thank you for going there especially!

Whilst it's disappointing that there is no will because I was hoping it might offer firm proof of the ID of another Hadrill, the name Joseph Hadrill is very interesting!

At the time of his death, Thomas still had two living older brothers and three "disappeared" younger brothers, one of whom was a Joseph. Joseph's wife and one definite and three more probable children were in the workhouse by 1891 and his wife was still there in 1911. She was still calling herself married in 1891 and 1901 but I have found no trace of Joseph after 1881.

As the only other Joseph candidate would be a nephew born 1876 who was a plumber in 1901, I would have thought he was a little young to be retired by 1931. But Thomas is the brother of my great grandfather, rather than a direct ancestor, so sending for the letter of administration to perhaps establish the relationship of Joseph is too much of a luxury at the moment.

I shall try searching for brother Joseph again and also read up on the disposition of estates because I'm not sure why solicitors had to be involved.

Many thanks again Kate.
              Gillian

Comment

If he died intestate and a potential beneficiary was missing the solicitors would have advertised to try and find the missing brother(s) to protect themselves and the administrators so that if he appeared later and wanted to claim his share of his late brothers estate they would be able to say they had advertised and you didn't come forward so go away.

Intestacy oftern creates life interests which need to be dealt with by a professional as they are quite complciated and can go on for a very long time.
                Last edited by claretaylor22; 12-02-09, 17:38.
                Clare

Comment

It isn't a requirement to use a solicitor to deal with a deceased's estate unless the person doing it choses that way to handle it.
                  I have just handled an estate for a friend's relative who died and she was the executor and I acted as her assistant and did very much the same as a solicitor would have done, but without the cost!
                  It's a lot of form filling and organising so if someone wasn't used to doing that and dealing with officialdom then using a solicitor saves the bother.
                  Margaret

Comment

Thank you for all that information Clare and Margaret!

If Joseph was Thomas' brother, he would have been 75, so it's more than likely he would need the assistance of a solicitor from what you have said.

I suppose my only chance now of finding out which other brothers were still living and eligible to receive a share would be if the solicitors' papers are in an archive somewhere.

In the meantime, I might splash out on the 1911 transcript for nephew Joseph to find out his occupation before searching the census for brother Joseph yet again - the name Hadrill is open to so many varieties of mistranscription!
                    Gillian

Comment

I'd be surprised if a solicitor still had the papers and if they did they would charge you quite a lot (£45 or more) to get them out of their archives. I asked for similar papers of a solicitor recently and that was what they said!
                      Margaret

Comment

Wow Margaret! £45.00! And there's me balking at £5.00 for the letters of administration lol

I've not had occasion to try to obtain relatively recent solicitors' papers. I do have a batch from Somerset Records Office from the 1850s, kindly photocopied for me by Vivienne, and of course the cost of those was negligible.
                        Gillian

Comment

Margaret £45.00!!!! How old are the papers? Have you ckecked with the Law Society that is allowed? I thought reasonable photocopying costs were all that was permissable. Are yoiu the next of kin of the client?
                          Clare

Comment

Working...
                          X