More advice for a newbie please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More advice for a newbie please!

Morning everyone. I received my gp's marriage cert this morning, and although it doesn't answer all the questions, I think there's probably enough circumstancial evidence to just put purchasing other certs on the back burner for a while and just plough on. I don't want to bore you all again, but basically a theory was suggested that my gt grandmother was married prior to the one with gt gf. The marriage cert confirmed 2 things- that my gt gf was alfred keen, which ties in with the theory, and that a witness was alice keen, who was a possible sibling on freebmd. I know i'd need to get alfreds m cert to confirm if his bride was indeed lizzie lailey nee hannell, but do you reckon it's enough to go on for now? Craig

Was Alfred old enough to be working on the 1901 census? You could compare the occupations to see if they match up.
    Also check 1911 if you can. That might give you more information about the family.

I think I'd be tempted to get Frederick's birth cert, just to make sure the details are correct.

It does sound very likely though
    Tracy

Comment

To save us from going over old ground, these are the previous threads:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...eneral-qs.html
      http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...sible-q-s.html
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

To be honest, if I were you I would take it one step at a time and get the certificate to confirm what you think before you spend much time tracing them back through censuses etc just in case the certificate turns out to say something else.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I would def get Frederick's birth cert first.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Would my granddad's birth cert definately state if his mother had been previously married tho? We're talking 1927. Craig

Comment

If it was filled out correctly, it should.

It should say Elizabeth (or Lizzie) Keen, late Lailey, formally Hannell - or words to that effect.

Unless she wasn't, of course lol
              Tracy

Comment

Right, well another 8 quid it is then! Just don't tell the wife! Lol

Comment

It's only £7 if you order from the GRO ;)
                  Tracy

Comment

How long does the gro take? I went direct to bucks cc- ordered early hours of sunday and arrived today. £7 for cert and £1 card fee. Craig

Comment

It's normally sent out within 4 working days, so probably about the same depending on the postal service.
                      Tracy

Comment

Bucks fhs is very good - probably useful as you start to go back. They do lookups and email image for £1 or a 100year list of when the name occurs for £5

Buckinghamshire Family History Society - Database Searches
                        Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

If you don't put the reference number in though it'll be £10 - so always put that in for the GRO.

- if you haven't got it ask -

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks Tracy, i'll check the gro out tonight. Craig

Comment

Thanks jean and j bee. Bucks fhs is another thing I need to look into. I tried to join a forum last night but got rejected cos I didn't realise you have to be a member of the actual society. Craig

Comment

Craig the link in my signature takes you to the official GRO website where certificates are £7 p & p inclusive, they don't charge for using a card.

I wonder if your Keens came from Aston Clinton? There are lots of Keens there; some of my lot married Keens lol!

Joanie

Comment

Hi joan, 1901 census is the farthest i've got at the moment. Hoping to go further back tonight. They are in hyde heath. Not sure if thats anywhere near aston clinton or not. Craig

Comment

hello craig welcome brenda xxx

Comment

Craig the benefit of ordering from the local ROs is that you get your ancestors writing on the certs. The GRO certs are just what the clerk wrote down. To me it's worth the extra money and wait.
                                      Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Konovolov View Post
                                        Hi joan, 1901 census is the farthest i've got at the moment. Hoping to go further back tonight. They are in hyde heath. Not sure if thats anywhere near aston clinton or not. Craig
                                        Hyde Heath is near Amersham. its about 10 miles from Hyde Heath to Aston Clinton
                                        Jess

Comment

Working...
                                        X