This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have i done

My PC wouldn't shut down properly last night so i switch it off by the modem

Now this morning it is telling me...
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setop using the original set up CD-ROM select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

What i am worried about is everything disappearing of my computer.

Many thanks
    Last edited by KiteRunner; 12-02-09, 07:45.
    Julie passed away 5th November 2012.

Hope you don't mind, Julie, I've added a little triangle thingy next to your thread so people will see it's urgent!

I wonder whether that file was already missing or corrupt when you tried to shut the computer down, and that's why it wouldn't shut down properly?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Julie...

Basically this error is indicating that the configuration information (the registry) in your PC is corrupt, and so Windows cannot start...

At the moment I would say that your information is still ok, even though you cannot get to it.....

The only real way round his is to try and repair your windows installation as indicated by the error message.

Just out of interest, what make/model of PC do you have.. and did it come with a Windows CD ?
      https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

I have have made it as easy to follow as I can.
        Lets hope you have a windows cd or windows recovery cd. If so proceed.
        if this don't fix problem let me know.

Comment

First i must say i can only come back to you through my OH lap top ( i wish i wouldn't take it to work)

Kite...thank you for my triangle

Grim....the make is Dell and i have looked for all the disc it came with, now i have either missed placed it or it wasn't there....Have managed to get hold of a Dell recovery CD but it is still saying the above

Brian...the recovery dice that i have don't say if its sp1/sp2, i did try and reboot but still got the above message.

Will not be able to come back to you until this evening, but i would like to say many thanks for you help.

Comment

UPDATE

Have just spoken to Dell support and they are going to send me the disc i need but it won't be till Monday lol

Thanks Again

Comment

Glad it's on the way to being sorted Julie!

I chicken out if I ever receive a registry error message and take it to my repair chap - I'm always behind in my backups and panic that I'm going to lose the lot!
              Gillian
              User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Julie,

A manufacturers own branded CD is not necessarily the same as a full-blown Windows setup CD.. it may not have the repair functionality as outlined above...

If that functionality is missing then there may be an option on there of a "Non Destructive Recovery" which shouldreinstall windows but leave all your data intact. You will however need to reinstall any applications.

Comment

I would be very cautious using a manufactures recovery CD to repair such a fault.
                  Many simply re-format the hard drive and clean install the system. This means you lose everything on the hard drive.

If possible make a start-up disk using another PC and boot your computer through that.
                  Having started your computer make copies of files you do not want to lose on an external drive or cd/dvd.

Search your computer for a non destructive recovery file and run that to amend the corrupt start-up files. Or use the recovery module.
                  Cheers
                  Guy
                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

*nervously puts up hand to speak

I did put up a thread a few days ago when a similar thing happened to me - warning not to turn off your computer or it would not restart.

My wonderful computer person managed to sort my laptop out (also a Dell), but it required use of a Windows Service Disc 3 (I think) which I didn't have.
                    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

This has happened to me twice. I have Vista and each time it happened it was when I was doing Windows Updates and it was Service Pack 1 update that caused it. My computer friend used a Recovery Console disc to get it working again. I dare not now install Service Pack 1. Mine is a Dell pc.
                      Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Stella, did you get the exact same mesage that Julie has quoted above ??
                        If not then there is no reason to beleive it is the same problem....

Comment

Originally posted by sally View Post
                          I did put up a thread a few days ago when a similar thing happened to me - warning not to turn off your computer or it would not restart.

I've turned our Windows ME computer off at the power switch millions of times when it got stuck during shutting down, and the XP laptop quite a few times too, and it has never caused any problems, only running an automatic scandisk on starting up again. I can't see what else you could do if it just gets stuck partway through shutting down, to be honest.
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by sally View Post
                            *nervously puts up hand to speak

My wonderful computer person managed to sort my laptop out (also a Dell), but it required use of a Windows Service Disc 3 (I think) which I didn't have.
                            Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                            I've turned our Windows ME computer off at the power switch millions of times when it got stuck during shutting down, and the XP laptop quite a few times too, and it has never caused any problems, only running an automatic scandisk on starting up again. I can't see what else you could do if it just gets stuck partway through shutting down, to be honest.
                            TBH as long as you don't power off while the hard drive is being written to, there is very little harm you can do.... So basically just keep an eye on the hard drive light on your PC.... if it is unlit, and your PC is not responding, the only option you will have is to turn it off.....

Comment

Oh dear, I am a complete computer dumbo I am afraid, but all I was trying to say was that there is a virus which does this and I had it last week (in spite of all precautions etc) - the worrying thing for me is that I don't know where it came in, and I only really use my laptop for family history research.
                              Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

A techy friend of mine runs a small electronics company apart from his day job, and he regularly takes my PC and my laptop and backs up everything that is on there, (I also have Combian 8 back up), and gives them a quick health check. I was once tempted and succumbed into downloading a Spyware Doctor programme, and it wrecked everything, clearing out vital files as well as naughty ones.
                                His services cost me of course, but I reckon the peace of mind is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimsqueaker View Post
                                  Stella, did you get the exact same mesage that Julie has quoted above ??
                                  If not then there is no reason to beleive it is the same problem....
                                  To be honest Grimsqueaker, I cannot remember as it was quite a while ago, but it did say something about a corrupt file. Sorry I can't be more precise.
                                  Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Hi All

Hi Grimsqueaker...The lady at Dell said the one they would be sending is a Windows XP
                                    something or other sorry can't remember exactly what she said. I know she said something about the start up disc but i can't find it so it might be that.

Kite.....im the same as you my old PC i was always turning it off at the modam & i have done it on this one too.

So on reading this it seems a few of use with Dell have had a similar problem

Comment

julie

i have seen the problem you have quoted at the top of the thread occur on just about every manufacturer available in the UK.. It is not something unique to Dell...

in some cases the error message you have can be caused by a hardware fault, but until you have at least tried the options for recovering or repairing windows there is no reason to suspect that is the cause in your case....

if nothing else, this situation really highlights the need for maintaining backups of your data.. that way you minimise the loss should anything untoward happen...

Comment

Just a quick note to say

The disc came & the lady talked me through it & 2 hours later it's now working

I would like to thank everyone who replied & tried to help........Trust me i will not be turning of my computer at the modem every again lol

Comment

Working...
                                        X