Divorce 1950s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce 1950s

I know my grandparents divorced in the 1950's, will I be able to find details anywhere or will they have been destroyed by now?

I've looked on TNA and there's nothing there.

Clare
    Clare

To apply for a search you will need to complete a Form D440 and send it to:

The Principal Registry of the Family Division
    Decree Absolute Search Section
    First Avenue House
    42-49 High Holborn
    London WC1V 6NP

Tel: 0207 947 6000 (switchboard)

The above is out of date info I copied of the internet years ago, but if you can sort out the correct phone number you could check with them about fees etc. I'm pretty sure you will not get info on the divorce details - just a copy of the decree absolute. It's not cheap either - was £20 years ago!

Comment

Thank you, but how dull! I know they were divorced I have a copy of the maintainance order made in favour of my dad. I was curious to know who divorced who and why! I guess I'll never know now then.

Something niggles at the back of my mind that the court actually destroys records after a certain period but I think that may relate to company insolvency rather than private individuals. Does anyone have a more certain idea than that?

Clare
      Clare

Comment

I have a copy of divorce papers from 1935. They were on TNA site.
        It's possible more recent ones aren't on there yet, or won't be put on there.
        Tracy

Comment

Clare - you might find these links interesting - from TNA
          Divorce Records in England and Wales after 1858
          Divorce Records Before 1858

and there is an email address in the wiki for the address Merry has given to you
          Divorce and Annulments
          Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 12-02-09, 07:30.
          Elaine

Comment

In the 50s and 60s was quite common for local nwspapers to print details of divorces in their area. Our local used to have a column with a paragraph or two for each divorce naming the parties involvd and the reason for granting the decree.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks, I'm going to Birmingham on monday so I will see if I can check the newspapers.

Clare
              Clare

Comment

Working...
              X