Confusing Braziers (or Brasiers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusing Braziers (or Brasiers)

Husband's 3xGGrandfather was Mark Brazier, born in 1801 in Helions Bumpstead, Essex. He died on 10 Oct 1878 in Helions Bumpstead. His wife was Ann and she died on 11 June 1878 (I have both certificates). On Ann's certificate it states that she is the widow of Mark Brazier - but he was not dead then!
    Ann is causing more trouble. I have a note that she was born Ann Ridjwood in 1806 in Helions Bumpstead and that she married Mark in 1826 - (information from an unsubstantiated IGI record) - but.... in most Census records 1803 is a more likely birth date and she says she was born in Castle Camps, Cambridgeshire.
    Any suggestions, please?

On the Cambridge FHS site there's an Ann Ridgewell baptised 1802 in Castle Camps but no Ridjwood.

Cambridgeshire Family History Society - Baptism Index 1801-37 - Search (just enter Rid for surname)
    Hail Spode!

Comment

Thanks very much. I had seen that and thought it might be the one. I believe that the boundary between the two parishes might be 'elastic'. The 1861 census shows the 'Mark Brazier family' twice - once in castle Camps and once in Helions Bumpstead! I will investigate further...... One of my contacts has the Castle Camps Parish Records (I hope).
      I am still thinking about that oddity on the Death Certificate - maybe there was a transcription error.

Comment

I'm sure there was / is no such name as Ridjwood. As for the death certificate, if it has been copied out then I can imagine a scrawled "wife" being misread as "widow".
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It was no good - I had to see for myself! On the way back from a family visit I persuaded OH that we should stop off in Chelmsford.
          The receptionist in the hotel found out exactly where the Record Office was and even gave me a list of directions to find it! I was most impressed by the facilities, even if the building looked more like a factory from the outside.

I found the marriage entry, and guess what? The bride's surname was practiclly illegible - but - it was definitely not Ridjwood. After careful scrutiny I decided it looked like 'Ridgewele'. A member of staff said there was a transcription available and when I was dubious she said that the transcriber was one of their best - so I looked... and he had transcribed it as Ridgewell!
          Together with the death cert I now believe that the baptism in Castle Camps in 1802 is my Ann Ridgewell.

As far as the death certificate anomaly is concerned I am in contact with the Registry Office in Bury St Edmunds where the Helions Bumpstead records are kept (apparently it is now in Suffolk!) They are going to search out the original and tell me if there is a difference from my GRO certificate and if there is they will supply me with a photocopy.
          I will report as soon as I hear from them.
          Thanks for your help.

Comment

Essex RO is very impressive. I'd like to go back now I know more about what I am looking for.

My guess is that the death cert is probably an error. Easily done.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
            X