Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foster home help please

Hi

going through my nans "book" that she wrote she mentions that she went to stay with a foster mother in london, around 1922ish. is there any chance i might be able to find anything about her being placed? although she says that "when the inspector called I was put outside in a shed as I was the odd one out, one too many" so it quite possibly was something arranged by her mother? She lived in a little village until she was around 6 (which is when her grandparents died so perhaps that had something to do with it, although was living with an aunt) and then was in this foster home in London.
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Where was the inspector from I wonder? They didn't have social services as such then. I would imagine any likely records would be with the relevant voluntary organisation (if it was such) or in the relevant archives.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The "Inspector" could well have been the "Tally Man"
      He went round checking houses to make sure they were not overcrowded.
      Not sure how many but only so many adults and so many children per household (depending on how many rooms. often families dispersed to other houses if they knew he was coming.
      This happened a lot in the 1920's.
      Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

"The Inspector" would be the "cruelty man", who was either an official of the NSPCC, Dr Barnardos, or a local official employed by the council.

Her mother MAY have arranged the fostering privately but it does sound more like an official arrangement. Back then, they didn't give the mother a second chance, or even a first chance to put things right.

OC

Comment

Her mum came and got her a few years later i believe, when she was about 10?
          Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Working...
          X