Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM from a stick - can it be done?

Hi,

I've lost access to my FTM on my work terminal coz Big Brother took it off. Serves me right I suppose for asking them to allow an update to the prog in the first place.

What I'd like to know is - is there any way that FTM can be made to run from a USB stick or a portable hard drive? That way I don't have to install anything on the C:drive.

Many thanks.

Not as far as I am aware. I believe the program needs to be installed on the hard drive for it to work.
    Elaine

Comment

I don't think it would be possible, but if you want access to your tree from your work computer, couldn't you upload it to a website such as GR, Tribal Pages, or ancestry and get to it that way?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I could but I'm reluctant to do that for a couple of reasons.

1. My tree contains copious notes of a private type and don't want to keep having to strip it out and redo a bare bones one. Before Glen's great posting about exporting to GEDCOM and then back again, I sat for days stripping out stuff from my GR tree.

2. I keep copies on a laptop, a USB stick and also had the one my work pc. And it wouldn't be the first time that I've lost the plot with updates.

I wish it would work with Linux and then I could have it on my stick. Maybe one day...

Thanks for the advice girls.

Comment

You could upload the whole file including notes etc to Tribal Pages (for free) and select all the privacy options, then nobody except you will be able to see it.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I'll go have a look at that, thanks. I think I saw somebody else post a question about Tribal Pages, Tom Tom maybe? but I didn't read it.

Comment

Working...
            X