More Morley help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Morley help please

I am trying to find the parents of Edward Morley, who married Elizabeth Harding 17/4/1826 in St Mary's Nottingham.

According to the Nottm archives the marriage entry will not give the names of parents and they say that I need to trace the baptism entry for that.
    From the various census images he appears to have been born c1805 but Nottm archives only found one Edward in 1804 and he died in 1805.

Any suggestions what I can do next please?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Any idea of whereabouts in Nott's he was born? a quick search on IGI for him 1805 =+/- 5 years thru up 9 hits
    L

Comment

He always said St Mary's (central Nottingham) on the census. Apart from 1841 that is, when for some unknown reason they were all in At Alkmund, Derbyshire. Though non of the children were born there.

Comment

I take it you went to the Archives then Chris?
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

and do you have a link for a census image? of your Morleys that I could look at
          Julie

Comment

I'm really sorry Julie, I had to go and have only just got back on.

No, a young man (new cousin) who got in touch with me a few weeks ago has been delving and I have helped. He e-mailed the archives office and then went in person. But when he got there they had discovered that the only Edward that they had found had died a year later. He is gutted as he thinks we shall never get back now :D His wife is expecting twins (first children) and he suddenly got the bug to trace his roots but he can't wait to get back as far as possible :D We have got the certificates between us to get back to Edward.

This is them in 1851 Class: HO107; Piece: 2132; Folio: 99; Page: 41
            Edward (46) and Elizabeth (43) are mistranscribed as Murley but the children on the next page are correct as Morley. Mind you Levi is down as Lenis aged 18 c 1833 when he should be Levi 12/13 born 1839 :D:D They are in Nottingham St Marys.

Apart from 1841 when they are in St Alkmund Derbys for some unknown reason they are always in St Marys Notts and all born there.

Comment

Chris

do you have the link for the 1841 please.. I am having a heck of a problem finding them... ta
              Julie

Comment

I'll go and find it Julie

Comment

It's here - HO107; Piece 199; Book: 2; Civil Parish: St Alkmund; County: Derbyshire; Enumeration District: 9; Folio: 3; Page: 1; Line: 13; GSU roll: 241300.

If you put in Levi Morley - born 1838 +/- 1 living in Derbyshire St Alkmund - up they pop :D

Comment

On my Nottingham BMD CDs I have two baptisms:

Edward Morley bap 24 Sep1804 St Mary, Nottingham, parents John and Elizabeth

Edward Morley bap 7 Feb 1808 St Peter, Nottingham, parents William and Catherine
                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                      It's here - HO107; Piece 199; Book: 2; Civil Parish: St Alkmund; County: Derbyshire; Enumeration District: 9; Folio: 3; Page: 1; Line: 13; GSU roll: 241300.

If you put in Levi Morley - born 1838 +/- 1 living in Derbyshire St Alkmund - up they pop :D
                      They do indeed,.....

I would look for his bapt in Derbyshire if I were you.. got nothing to lose have you??
                      Julie

Comment

Thanks so much both of you. I'm sorry for the late replies but I'm having terrible trouble changing pages on here tonight - is it just me. They are taking ages.

Thanks Wendy - yes, I think the one in 1804 is the one that Nottm found but he died in 1805 and father is wrong, should be Edward. The second ones parents are both wrong too.

I think you may be right Julie. They all say born St Marys Nottingham from 1851 census onwards but it's my last hope.

Comment

Oh, what a dope I am. I don't know what the parents names should be, that's the problem :o Mind you, I think the one in 1804 died and I think that 1808 might be tad late. I'll try and find those Edwards though. Thanks again Wendy

Comment

I did find these though: Batch Number: C391367

1. Ann <Morley> - International Genealogical Index
                            Gender: Female Christening: 30 MAR 1809 Derby,St Alkmund, , Derby, England
                            2. Ellen <Morley> - International Genealogical Index
                            Gender: Female Christening: 22 FEB 1808 Derby,St Alkmund, , Derby, England
                            3. Sarah <Morley> - International Genealogical Index
                            Gender: Female Christening: 07 FEB 1807 Derby,St Alkmund, , Derby, England

source: hugh wallis
                            Julie

Comment

Oh Wow - thank you Julie It doesn't give the parents names then?
                              Sorry, I don't know anything about hugh wallis. I'm hopeless before 1837 :o

Comment

Chris,

If you click on the childs names above it 'should' show you parents names

if you click on this link below: (this is to search Hugh Wallis' site)

Counties in England

then scroll down to say Nottingham- you can then search each parish IN Nottinghamshire,

so scroll down to say Hucknall.... you will see:

Hucknall Torkard

C059091 1772-1834 M059091 1772-1834
                                C059092 1600-1771 M059092 1600-1771

The C's are Baptisms from 1600-1771 & 1772-1834.
                                The M's are Marriages from 1600-1771 & 1772-1834.

if you click on any of the C or M (in blue) on there, it will enable you to search the entries.

hope it helps Chris.
                                Julie

Comment

Thanks so much Julie I have put it in my favourites and printed off your instructions. All these years and I've only just discovered what everyone means by hugh wallis :o

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                    Thanks so much Julie I have put it in my favourites and printed off your instructions. All these years and I've only just discovered what everyone means by hugh wallis :o
                                    No worries.... Always glad to help

happy hunting!! ;)
                                    Julie

Comment

Working...
                                    X