Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A particular address in the 1901 census?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A particular address in the 1901 census?

Can I search for a particular address in the 1901 census?

I now have the Liverpool address of each grandparent before their marriage in 1900. I have the streets and the city. Yes, I have their surname before marriage and will use that as my first approach. However, they may have been lodgers so the surname will no longer apply. I know I am beeing pessimistic - it is the result of experience.

This has been reposted here on the sensible advice received in my other thread.

Hugo

You can search on address on the official 1901 website:

1901 Census of England and Wales Online

Also on findmypast but not all counties are available on there yet:
    Census records for 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 censuses – findmypast.com

If you want to search on ancestry then you have to browse the census by county, then select the town you want, then go through the list of enumeration districts and view the description of each one till you find the one that contains the street you want, then browse through page by page in that enumeration district till you come to that street.

Or google street name and 1901 and maybe somebody will already have posted up some details that will help you find it easily.

If you post up the address you want maybe one of us can help find it.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Hugo View Post
      However, they may have been lodgers so the surname will no longer apply.

Not sure what you mean here - they would still have their surname even if they were lodgers?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

KiteRunner,

Thanks for the confirmation and the websites. I would like to try it myself before asking for someone to do it for me. I appreciate the suggestion.

As regards the surname no longer appling, I was thinking they would have moved away.

Hugo

Comment

If you have an ancestry sub and want to spend a bit of time instead of money you can search just about any census by address, (the caveat being that the earlier the census the less likely an exact address is recorded).

By searching the parish and then the district descriptions within the parish you can find which district contains the road you are looking for. It does take time and for a city it can be a trawling exercise but it is the way the census had to be searched before the internet revolution gave us a searchable name index.

A visual guide is in the wiki at
          Finding images from a particular parish - Family Tree Forum
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Another way is to find the address in 1881, which can be searched that way. If you're lucky and its not a place where people moved frequently, you can then identify any people who were living nearby in 1881 and try to find them in other years.
            Jackie

Comment

Or find the street in the online directories at

Historical Directories

pick a year as close to the census as possible and look up those living in the street you are after on the census - there's usually someone who hasn't moved!

Comment

1871 England Census > Yorkshire > Holy Trinity > Myton

Does any one know the district of 10 St Marys Place, Osbourne in the 1871 England Census > Yorkshire > Holy Trinity > Myton?????

Comment

Working...
                X