Does anybody know please.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody know please.......

was it the 'norm' for a father to register a death? when the mother was still alive?

I today have recieved 3 death certs, confirming 2 gt gt gt grandparents (hubby n wife) and one for a child that until 2 weeks ago I didnt know existed! (born and died in between census, and only found it cos I was nosing thro my baptism disc doing a MMN search....

poor little mite was only 4 years old as well..........
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 11-02-09, 10:41.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Mum could have been sick/ looking after younger children/ too distressed...

Comment

I can think of no reason why the father couldn't or wouldn't have done it.

I don't know if I could do it myself.
      Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
        Mum could have been sick/ looking after younger children/ too distressed...
        oh yea, I forgot she had another child to look after....... oops. (he'd only be 7 months as well)

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
        I can think of no reason why the father couldn't or wouldn't have done it. I don't know if I could do it myself.
        I know that feeling.

I am sure though that I read it (somewhere) that the husband usually reg'd any childrens deaths, and if the father was dead then the mother would have to reg it... (I could have been dreaming though!!)
        Julie

Comment

I just think circumstances play a part and to one extent or another it could also be the "gentlemanly" thing to do, most death registrations are pretty soon after the event and it meant one less thing for mum to have to deal with.

I know my g/f registered all three deaths of his children but granny registered the births.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

My great grandfather registered the births of his children and gave two of them the same name....lol

He was the town drunk........also a member of the Council and business owner...lol

Comment

I have several child/baby deaths registered by a neighbour. I guess she had been helping out and Mum and Dad were too upset to do it?? Who knows. I think registration is just 'something that has to be done' and whoever feels able (and qualifies by being present at the death usually) will do it.

Anne

Comment

ahh ok, I just wondered if it was the 'done thing' thats all.

I had found her quite by accident, and also have found one of her brothers baptised RC both with different SURNAMES but same MMN and not in the husbands name either!

Off I trundled to Nottm Archives and luckily they DO have RC baptisms there, so had a nosey. they were there,

then had a nose in the cemetery register, Theresa was there aged 4, buried in the Parish Churchyard.

went to local Reg office, to get her birth/death. Got her birth but they were unable to find her death

so I sent off to GRO and it came this morning.... Poor Lamb had measles for 14 days... and then had Pleurisy 5 days.

she would have been my Gt Aunt
                Julie

Comment

Working...
                X