Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service records

Hi

Im going to attempt to get my grandads service records, does anyone know how long it is roughly taking at the moment?

also the only information i have is from my aunts birth certificate in 1942 which does have a service number and regiment on it, yet i know he wasnt always in this regiment (the military pioneer corps) and when he joined the RFC during WW1 he lied about his age.

So will they be able to find him ok with the information i can give them? Im obviously concerned that if i put his DOB in they will think he is the wrong man if he never changed his DOB.

Also will all his records be together even though he moved between the flying corps and the army?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

If he was in The Royal Pioneer Corps...........thats an Army Record Office searchable online at Ancestry for WW1.
    The Royal Flying Corps is probably now an RAF record office......whether they have been put together..........I could only guess and say yes.
    If you put up his details I/we can have a look for you.

JUST FOUND OUT that Royal Flying Corps was part of the Army in 1914/1918 so all records should be together.
    Last edited by AlanC; 11-02-09, 12:30. Reason: additional script

Comment

If you are looking for records from the MOD that are not yet available through TNA that is those after 1922, then you will need to prove next of kin and payment of £30, unless it has gone up again, and a probable wait of anything from 6 to 12 months. When I applied for my father's naval records for post 1922 I had to wait 3 months, but that was back in 1999 and I understand the wait is much longer now, as so many people are applying for these records. Medal entitlements for 2 W War are obviously available to download as well as records to 1922.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 11-02-09, 12:40.

Comment

You have to send a copy of his death cert too.

Comment

I got a reply yesterday , a printed form which says "please note that family interest enquiries may take 3-4 months to complete "
          It is still £30...I had sent my cheque with a letter, service No and death certificate but they have returned it all asking for the next of kin form to be completed.
          A sticker on my letter says "return with info pack."
          A big note at the end
          Everyone else other than widows or widowers must send us
          Completed certicate of kinship
          Completed search document
          Proof of death if the service perso died after leaving the service
          A cheque or postal order for £30 made payable to MOD Accounting Officer
          Last edited by colin taylor; 11-02-09, 14:03.

Comment

Thanks all. today i have posted off the NOK form, the search details, death certificate copy and also the cheque. If only i had posted a few months ago i might have them now!! never mind, something to look forward to
            Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

I applied in Oct/Nov for my granda's & got them after about 3 weeks. Was really impressed with the quickness, so you might not be waiting that long

Cheers
              Last edited by JayG; 11-02-09, 19:18. Reason: can't type
              Jay

Comment

ooh i like that idea. thats provided they find them of course!!:D
                Robyne

Comment

Working...
                X