Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toovey families

Hi all
    I am keen to contact anyone out there who may have information or done some family history work on the Toovey name.
    My Grandmother was a Toovey.
    The Toovey families I am interested in originally came from Essex Uk and I go back to Richard Duppa Toovey born 1794 at Harlow Essex. He married Sarah Whittaker who was born in 1800 at Colchester Essex. They then moved to Westerham Kent where I believe they ran a private school. My Great Grandfather was born at Sevenoaks Kent in 1835. His name was Charles Gibbs Toovey. He was a Merchant Seaman. He moved then to South Molton around 1865, then to Plymouth around 1875. They had quite big families, but many died as infants. Names they I would like information on are Marianna or Marion Toovey born 1873 and Halsted Toovey born 1881.
    Hope someone can help.
    Last edited by tidders; 11-02-09, 08:05. Reason: puntuation
    researching Tidball, Toovey, Manley, Fairchild, Courtier, Debois, McConchie, Wardlaw

Hi Tidders. Welcome to FTF.

I am not sure what you want to know about Charles & his family. It appears that Charles worked in India at some stage. On the 1881 Census he is a Retired Officer of the HEI Comp, in 1891, a retired Tea Planter & in 1871 an India Service Pensioner.
    I have saved the images . If you want them send me a PM with your email addy.
    He also seems to have remarried in Dec Qtr 1887, to Frances Townsend in Tiverton 5b/787.
    Last edited by Lyn A; 11-02-09, 09:55.

Comment

Marianna Toovey was born S. Molton, Sep Qtr 1873 5b/440
      Halsted Beetson Toovey was born Plymouth, Jun Qtr 1881 5b/245

I can't find marriages for either of them.
      Last edited by Lyn A; 12-02-09, 08:46.

Comment

Interestingly, there is a Julian Beetson H Toovey b Plymouth, Sep Qtr 1877 5b/240.
        He died in the Dec Qtr 5b/182

Comment

Thanks Lyn A
          Marianna or Marion, I have tried to find a marriage and have no luck. She did have a daughter Queenie who I guess may have been born around 1898-1900. Halsted Toovey did go to Canada sometime after the 1901 census, but I don't know whether he came back to UK or stayed in Canada. I am pretty right with Charles Gibbs Toovey after he left Kent.
          tidders
          researching Tidball, Toovey, Manley, Fairchild, Courtier, Debois, McConchie, Wardlaw

Comment

There is a Queenie Blanch Toovey born in Reading in Mar Qtr 1898. 2/343
            Could that be her?

Nah.....that one belongs to a Charlie & Matilda.
            Last edited by Lyn A; 12-02-09, 08:47.

Comment

There is a Queenie Dubois listed on the 1901 Census, living with her mother, Marian who claims to be married but no husband given. Marian gives South Molton, Devon, but has her age as 22???? Wonder if there were a few porkies being told.

RG13; Piece: 446; Folio: 47; Page: 31.
              Last edited by Lyn A; 12-02-09, 09:10.

Comment

Lyn A
                You are a star. I believe you have come up with a winner with the Queenie Dubois. My grandmother had an old address book with a Mrs Dubois from Brighton in it I have looked at the name many times, but have done nothing with it. This info now will set me off again. The next census might be very interesting.
                Well done
                tidders

Comment

The 1911 Census does have Marion Dubois b. 1877, living in Brighton....can't see Queenie though. Instead Marion seems to be living with a Millie Eleanor Marion Dubois, b. 1898.

There is this birth.......
                  Dubois Millie Eleanor M, Jun Qtr 1897, Lambeth 1d/381

I guess that may be Queenie.
                  Last edited by Lyn A; 13-02-09, 06:59.

Comment

Lyn A
                    Thanks again. I went to our state libary in melbourne today and found the same names. I reckon queenie and millie are the same person. millie died in nov 1984 aged 87.
                    there was nothing on halsted toovey. he may have gone to canada.
                    tidders

Comment

Sounds like Queenie was a nickname, my gt grandmothers real name was Harriet but was known to family & friends as Queenie.

Comment

thanks Jill

Comment

Working...
                        X