Military records at Kew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military records at Kew

Today I discovered that the National Archive has some kind of documentation for my grandmother's cousin, Dietrich Peltz. Can anyone tell me what information would be held there ? Would it just be military, or would there be any personal information ?

[What I eventually want to find out is

a) his wife's surname by her first marriage,
    b) his father's (Horst Peltz's) date and place of birth - probably 1870s in Zakopane,
    c) his grandmother's (Julie Eichborn's) date and place of birth - probably 1850s in Berlin,
    d) his great grandmother's name, and date and place of birth, and
    e) his great grandfather's (Ludwig Eichborn's) date and place of birth - probably 1820s in Berlin.

I don't expect any of these answers to be held at Kew, but might there be any helpful information, or is it likely to be a purely military record ? ]

The National Archives | The Catalogue | Quick reference | FO 1038/166

Dietrich Georg Magnus Peltz.jpg
    Yorkshire names: Brown, Weighell, Hudson, Hartley, Womersley, Laycock, Maude, Atkinson, Whittaker, Hammond, Hutton, Brook, Murgatroyd, Wright, Topham
    Warwickshire name: Hart
    German names: Peltz, Eichborn

It looks interesting! I don't suppose it will answer your questions but you never know. I've ordered two documents from them, neither of them answered the questions I was hoping for but they were both fascinating and helped to pad out the lives of my ancestors.

You might have already done this but I did a quick Google Book search and came up with some interesting snippet views:

Dietrich Georg Magnus Peltz - Google Book Search

Comment

The reference you've given - FO 1038- appears to relate to

the employment of ex-PoWs and DPs, PoW and DP camps, repatriation of German ex-PoWs etc. are in FO 1038 (CCG Military Divisions).

Never looked at this series so don't know what info it would contain. As you have the full reference you can request a quote for copying.
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I just wanted to say thanks for your replies, and I received a PM today which answered many of my questions. I won't send for these documents at the moment, as Dietrich Peltz's military career is well documented, and I have confirmation that he was my grandmother's cousin.
        It's both fascinating and horrifying to find out that a fairly close relative was a MajorGeneral in the Wehrmacht.
        Yorkshire names: Brown, Weighell, Hudson, Hartley, Womersley, Laycock, Maude, Atkinson, Whittaker, Hammond, Hutton, Brook, Murgatroyd, Wright, Topham
        Warwickshire name: Hart
        German names: Peltz, Eichborn

Comment

Working...
        X