Is Part Of Longford in Ulster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Part Of Longford in Ulster?

I have an ancestor born in Derry, Ireland according to several census (Scotland). I have come across another family tree in Ancestry who gives him born "Longford, , , Ireland. (I have carefully counted the commas) Other information in the family tree matches well with mine, so I am confident it is the same person.

When I google "Longford + Ireland" I find that Longford is on the border with Ulster but the parish could include part of Ulster, if I understand it correctly.

Can anyone set me right, please.

Hugo

County Longford is in northwest Leinster. The town of Longford is situated down towards the middle of the county, and is over 100 miles from Derry city.
    See: Longford Map and Towns

The following counties are in Ulster: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Derry and Tyrone in Northern Ireland; and Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan in the Republic.

More about Longford and Derry parishes here:
    GENUKI: County Longford
    GENUKI: County Derry
    Sarah

Comment

Many thanks for the information, Sarah.

I am now having doubts if it is the same person. I is quite possible that there are two Bernard Donachy's born about the same year and who each Married an Agnes Shirkie/Sharkey.

Closer examination of the 'new' family tree is now on the ToDo list.

Hugo

Comment

It does seem quite a coincidence though doesn't it, those 2 names? Have you contacted the owner of the tree on Ancestry? Maybe you can compare notes with them?
        Sarah

Comment

It looks like the person with the tree on Ancestry got their information from OneWorldTree, so that is only as reliable as whoever put it on OneWorld Tree in the first place. Hope this link works: - Ancestry.co.uk
          Sarah

Comment

I have tried but had no reply. I tried as a Guest, using Ancestry and may well have failed to send the email.

However, you have triggered another possible approach so I am off to try that.

Thanks,

Hugo

Comment

Just checked their profile and it says they haven't logged in or updated their profile for over 6 months, so they may have changed their e-mail? Could be worth another shot though anyway.
              Sarah

Comment

With Irish tracing it is always a good idea to understand the four provinces of Ireland. In the past there were more and varied as they followed the Kings of Ireland but today we understand the Provinces of Ireland to mean the four that are Ulster, Munster, Leinster and Connaught and Ulster is not always meaning Northern Ireland as Cloggie has pointed out. The following website may help people with more understanding on this point of Provinces.

Counties and Provinces of Ireland

Janet

Comment

I am sure I have seen the Barr Family Tree somewhere else - thats what I went off to try. But no luck, it was not where I thought it was.

C'est la vie, Jimmy.

Hugo

Comment

Have you seen this one Hugo?
                    RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: Family Tree of MarionTempleton and John Johnston and related families.Notes are available on request for many individuals

There is an e-mail address given. It is a HUGE tree though - almost 44,000 names, so I wonder how well-researched it is?
                    Sarah

Comment

Greetings Sarah,

I thought I had replied to you, but obviously not.

I know the keeper of that family tree. She is connected by marriage. Although it is a big tree, I know she is reluctant to accept information if there is no source given.

Hugo

Comment

Succecess!

One of my repeat emails on Ancestry did get through and I got a response sent to my own email address today.

Happy day.

Hugo

Comment

Great news Hugo!
                          Sarah

Comment

Working...
                          X